• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella salary sacfrice and income optimisation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Umbrella salary sacfrice and income optimisation

A new tax year is nearly here.

For those who are operating outside as limited companies directors this is often a time when some tax planning would happen between accountant and director eg reviewing salary.
    In a brave new world where many are operating under umbrellas -and likely without accountants - I was pondering what, if any, planning can be usefully done. Obvioulsy as individual situations vary some ideas will only work for some.

I have a couple of thoughts as starters for ten:
    1. Take lower or no salary sacrifice in the first contract of the year ( you may not end up working all year)
    2. It seems to me though that due to the way employees NI is charged there may be better and worse ways to set a salary sacrifice level. (I know that there are risks associated with changing a salary sacrifice arrangement and am not proposing this). Assuming your contract rate puts you well above the upper threshold for NI, If you did 2 contracts next year with clients A and B and set salary sacrifice level to very high (NMW allowing) and none respectively, that saves NI vs setting the salary sac to the same amount
    Interested to hear what approach others take

Working...
X