• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella weekly fee/transaction fee

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Umbrella weekly fee/transaction fee

My umbrella got taken over by another umbrella. Without any warning/notification the new umbrella has almost doubled my weekly transaction fee. Is this legal?

Originally posted by JamesC34 View Post
    My umbrella got taken over by another umbrella. Without any warning/notification the new umbrella has almost doubled my weekly transaction fee. Is this legal?
    Read the terms of your original contract with the OldBrolly. If there is no mention of takeover, sale of business or similar terms, then I'd suggest terminating your contract with the NewBrolly and contacting Lucy who is active on this forum.

You need to object to the increased rates. Tacit agreement will come into place unless you do so.

Name and shame would be good, too.
    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
      Read the terms of your original contract with the OldBrolly. If there is no mention of takeover, sale of business or similar terms, then I'd suggest terminating your contract with the NewBrolly and contacting Lucy who is active on this forum.

You need to object to the increased rates. Tacit agreement will come into place unless you do so.

Name and shame would be good, too.
      Last edited by JamesC34; 20 April 2020, 17:30. Reason: Privacy

Comment

'Crestplus' who have taken over 'Mango'. I will update on how they respond to my queries.
        You don't mention how much you were paying and how much you are now being charged. That would be helpful to the discussion. But, and having said that, umbrellas are ten a penny; pick one that you like the look of and switch... although I have no direct experience, would recommend Clarity Umbrella as I like the cut of their jib when Lucy posts on these boards.
        ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
        Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Time leave. If you can pick any brolly I'd also suggest going to Clarity Umbrella.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Wow! Although that said it could be the case that the original brolly was not actually charging enough to cover costs so they have brought it into line with the other company. Morally... probably wrong, but business wise, it is their choice. Remember they can only take that margin as and when they are paying you, so if no further funds get processed then they cannot take that money.

Just goes to show there are a lot of brollies now competing for business and dropping their margin to rock bottom (pushed by the bigger market players) but it is simply not sustainable, and we could see some disappearing unless they can get their numbers up dramatically!

Comment

Originally posted by lucyclarityumbrella View Post
              ...Just goes to show there are a lot of brollies now competing for business and dropping their margin to rock bottom (pushed by the bigger market players) but it is simply not sustainable, and we could see some disappearing unless they can get their numbers up dramatically!
              ^^ This

Market consolidation in troubled times.
              ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
              Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Working...
              X