• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella PSL list

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Umbrella PSL list

Agencies that you have applied for roles through that tell you they have a preferred umbrella lists you have to choose from if you want a role through them, I know you don’t have to choose one and can walk away as much as they don’t have to agree to use the one you would prefer to use that’s not on their PSL but has anyone decided to walk away from moving forward with applying/taking a role after the agent has announced “you have to use an umbrella from our PSL”. I know it depends on your situation but do many people give in and pick one even if they do not want to or is there anyone who has walked away and said forget it then as they want to stay with their umbrella. I’ve never heard of anyone actually saying no.

That was a hard read. There are agencies that will only deal with the ones on their PSL. Capita is one of these I believe. Your options are pick one or do one. One of our regular contributors is also through an agency that would only let him pick from their list.

There are however other cases where the agencies just have a list of people who give them a kick back. You refuse strongly enough and they will back down and let your pick the one you want.

You'll have to just push them to see if they'll budge. If not you will have to fold if you want the gig.

IMO you'd have to be a bit of an idiot to refuse a good gig just because you didn't want to pick on of the providers on the list.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I know you have that choice as I said it was more just to see if anyone had actually said no and left it.

Comment

The reasons for being able to say no and walk away are very personal so just because someone else did it doesn't mean it makes sense for yourself, and vice versa.

Start by telling the agency you really want to use your preferred umbrella company and are not sure you can proceed if you have to choose one of theirs and see how strongly they want to stick to their guns, especially if you've done the interview and the client wants you.

Then again, be sure why you don't want to use any on their list, it should be more than just not liking their name or website, such as how much they charge and what feedback there is via a CUK search. Some will pop up as avoid at all costs and others will have a reasonable rep.
        Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

It is always worth speaking to the umbrella too, we have been allowed to work with some of our contractors when we have not been on the agency PSL, we have had to complete a compliance questionnaire in order for them to allow it. We also have a fair few contractors that are very loyal to us and have been prepared to walk away if they would not allow them to work via ourselves, but as everyone else said that is purely your call.

Comment

Agent not willing to work with contractor's preferred brolly

Having contracted via Contractor Umbrella for several years, I am currently seeking to work through CU with an agency that is (understandably) pushing their PSL of brolly companies.
            Lisa from CU is trying to find a solution, but agency is beeing inflexible.

I am prepared to lose the gig rather than be forced to pick one of their preferred brollies over mine that I know & trust.

Have told the agent it is their loss if they will not be flexible enough to add a reputable brolly to their list.

Am also seeking other routes to the same contracts via other agencies.

Comment

You'd lose a gig because you can't go with the brolly you want??
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Comment

Originally posted by LlareGgub View Post
                  I am prepared to lose the gig rather than be forced to pick one of their preferred brollies over mine that I know & trust.

Have told the agent it is their loss if they will not be flexible enough to add a reputable brolly to their list.

Comment

Inflexible agent

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Unfortunately: Yes.

Comment

Working...
                    X