• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Have umbrella companies told their clients what their plans are after April?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    You've really not understood these changes, have you?
    Seemed pretty clear cut to me: if you're within IR35 (under sdc) then you can't claim subsistence. I don't think I'm missing anything there that's relevant to my situation.

Comment

Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
      If I want to pretend I'm outside IR35 or trust my umbrella company if they tell me this. No thanks, I'll stick to my own judgment on that.
      Even without the fact you've made a dick of yourself in the previous sentence I'd say this is the worst possible thing you could do.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Seemed pretty clear cut to me: if you're within IR35 (under sdc) then you can't claim subsistence. I don't think I'm missing anything there that's relevant to my situation.
        Indeed, you haven't understood. The test for an umbrella worker is SDC, not IR35. The expenses concerned are for H2W travel specifically, not expenses in general, and the timing of when you can claim relief (on qualifying H2W and other expenses) is now via your SATR.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
          Indeed, you haven't understood. The test for an umbrella worker is SDC, not IR35. The expenses concerned are for H2W travel specifically, not expenses in general, and the timing of when you can claim relief (on qualifying H2W and other expenses) is now via your SATR.
          Well unless I've misunderstood IR35 I've thought the key to determining whether it applied was SDC. If they're unrelated then I have to assume much of the advice being doled out in these forums is utter tripe.

I accept there are other expenses that may apply, but as I said in my situation they are not relevant to me, only home to work travel is; that's why I'm not claiming.

@Northern Lad: I bear the consequences of decisions I make and therefore following my own advice over that of an organisation that doesn't necessarily have my best interests at heart is the correct decision. I should think this was obvious.

In this case the worst outcome is I'm paying for my own travel just like any other working stiff; can't see why I should ever have gotten a refund for that in the first place. Hardly seems like a disaster, but obviously what you consider disastrous is pretty minor to me.

Comment

Why are you even on the forums if you don't agree with the way we (you) work?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Well unless I've misunderstood IR35 I've thought the key to determining whether it applied was SDC. If they're unrelated then I have to assume much of the advice being doled out in these forums is utter tripe.
              You have misunderstood.

@Northern Lad: I bear the consequences of decisions I make and therefore following my own advice over that of an organisation that doesn't necessarily have my best interests at heart is the correct decision. I should think this was obvious.

In this case the worst outcome is I'm paying for my own travel just like any other working stiff; can't see why I should ever have gotten a refund for that in the first place. Hardly seems like a disaster, but obviously what you consider disastrous is pretty minor to me.
              That's because you're not a contractor.

HTHBIDIVVM
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Been in contact with my brolly on the T&S changes from April understand about not being able to make home to work travel expenses any more when under control of the end client.

main question i had was about still being able to claim for non reimbursed Site to Site travel ie just one off meetings say in another city away from a main workplace.

Response was that I can still claim for travel expenses for mileage that would be tax deductible in PAYE. But not any congestion charge or car parking for this journey out of pocket expenses would be claimed back at the end of year with a P11D form not sure how that will work in practice.

Thought the point of using an umbrella company with dispensation was to avoid P11D / Self assessment forms and that is sure to add some costs to umbrella company's to submit P11D's for each user.

Comment

Originally posted by sharky View Post
                  Thought the point of using an umbrella company with dispensation was to avoid P11D / Self assessment forms and that is sure to add some costs to umbrella company's to submit P11D's for each user.
                  Problem is dispensations will be gone come April too!

Comment

Originally posted by sharky View Post
                    Been in contact with my brolly on the T&S changes from April understand about not being able to make home to work travel expenses any more when under control of the end client.

main question i had was about still being able to claim for non reimbursed Site to Site travel ie just one off meetings say in another city away from a main workplace.

Response was that I can still claim for travel expenses for mileage that would be tax deductible in PAYE. But not any congestion charge or car parking for this journey out of pocket expenses would be claimed back at the end of year with a P11D form not sure how that will work in practice.

I don't know the finer detail, but dispensations are also being "done away with" from April '16.

Comment

So the question that nobody seems to be answering (or even asking?) - what is a credible alternative to using an umbrella? I'm certainly not going to carry on paying my umbrella £22.50 to simply transfer my wages from my agency to my bank account.

Without home to work mileage, site to site travel calculated on a weekly basis (working this out at the end of the tax year is a joke), and subsistence I will be losing around £200 PER WEEK from my take home pay.

Comment

Working...
                      X