• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

General Advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General Advice

Hi
    I am after general advice on whether to stick with my limited company or go to an umbrella company
    I have been contracting for a few years now with a limited company and i now been informed by my accountant that i am in IR35
    if i am working away from home i can no longer claim mileage , over night accommodation , meal etc
    I see the government is doing a lot to help the one man business
    The umbrella company are still allowing you to claim these
    Is my best path now to wind my limited company up and go the umbrella route or are they still benefits to me keeping the company
    can any one offer any advice please
    regards

What would your accountant know about IR35?

Get it checked properly

Comment

Originally posted by lotrmiko View Post
      Hi
      I am after general advice on whether to stick with my limited company or go to an umbrella company
      I have been contracting for a few years now with a limited company and i now been informed by my accountant that i am in IR35
      if i am working away from home i can no longer claim mileage , over night accommodation , meal etc
      I see the government is doing a lot to help the one man business
      The umbrella company are still allowing you to claim these
      Is my best path now to wind my limited company up and go the umbrella route or are they still benefits to me keeping the company
      can any one offer any advice please
      regards
      Are you confusing 24 month travel rule with IR35 ?

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
        Are you confusing 24 month travel rule with IR35 ?
        Valid question.

If it's the 24 month rule then you couldn't claim those expenses via an Umbrella either. That rule is about temporary workplace location and not employment route.
        Substantially the same location for 24 months = permanent place of work not temporary therefore no expenses.

Comment

More on the 24 month rule: http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...-nutshell.html

Comment

Has your accountant said why he thinks you are inside IR35?? If he has only said that you cannot claim travel and accommodation then, as the others have said, the 24 month rule may apply.
            Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
            X