• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interested to know people's plans for next 1-2 years

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by apj View Post
    1. Signed a rolling contract in Dublin to keep my ltd company afloat.
    2. Got offered a few almost-as-good UK permie roles that will probably be waiting for me if I change my mind. Hopefully...
    3. Converted a German permie role offer into a future remote client for my ltd company.
    4. Do more work via Upwork/Guru if I can bag them and keep them.
    5. Expand and update skills/knowledge to get better rates and offers, once the UK contracting market returns. Or not. Then do more work for clients in EMEA.

Fingers crossed...
    I'm knackered just reading that.
    think i'll have a lie down.

Comment

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
      Are you aware that the pension rules are likely to imminently change?

The 40% relief is likely to be abolished. Relief will be limited to the 20% band but, crucially, with other changes at play that could see the ability of pre-tax pension contributions via umbrella to no longer be permitted.

If you suggest that's crazy, I am inclined to agree. Watch this space. See Financial Times/Telegraph for more info. I prefer to avoid the Telegraph as it's a brexit rag and seems prone to business misinformation these days.
      I wasn't aware. Thanks for sharing.

That would be crazy, you'd think gov would be keen to encourage people to put as much into personal pensions as possible, not like the state pension is going to save us all!

Comment

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
        Is a contract in Europe not just similar to inside here though? Granted I don't know too much about it, but do most countries not operate a system similar to PAYE?
        Sweden allows outside contacts and these are extremely common in IT.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe545 View Post
          Sweden allows outside contacts and these are extremely common in IT.
          Is that right?

Contracting in Sweden: the legal bit

In the first instance, it’s important to note that the country has strict deemed employment legislation which makes many Swedish firms reluctant to employ contractors under a self-employed model. Much of this reluctance comes from the increased risks for the business, with tax liabilities transferred to the end client if incorrect payments are made. Many firms will also find that tax administration is particularly burdensome if a self-employed contractor is deemed to be a permanent fixture, making this employment model unfavourable with a large number of companies.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

That would be called "förtäckt anställning" in Swedish and I've never heard of that every being invoked. Skatteverket (Swedish Inland Revenue) claim that as long you can prove you are not "dependent" on the external company then you're fine.

In any case, almost every large company in Sweden have independent consultants. Spotify, Klarna, H&M, IKEA, for example all have them. And in most of these cases, they have frame agreements with brokers that you have to invoice instead of the company directly, so they have no idea if your company is a 1 man outfit or 100s of employees.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe545 View Post
              That would be called "förtäckt anställning" in Swedish and I've never heard of that every being invoked. Skatteverket (Swedish Inland Revenue) claim that as long you can prove you are not "dependent" on the external company then you're fine.

In any case, almost every large company in Sweden have independent consultants. Spotify, Klarna, H&M, IKEA, for example all have them. And in most of these cases, they have frame agreements with brokers that you have to invoice instead of the company directly, so they have no idea if your company is a 1 man outfit or 100s of employees.
              You can stay under the radar for a while but without the NINO equivalent you would be stuck with expensive hotels and airbnbs. Cost of life along the larger cities is central london equivalent or higher, rates... depends. And you could still get in trouble if you exceed the 183 day rule and people start asking questions at the airport.
              Women on the other hand... if you get stuck with an average one near your desk(average by Swidish standards) goodby productivity.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
                Women on the other hand... if you get stuck with an average one near your desk(average by Swidish standards) goodby productivity.
                how old are you? - 15? 16?

dear, oh dear.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                  how old are you? - 15? 16?

dear, oh dear.
                  Not proud about it but... some things haven’t changed much since then.
                  On the other hand, you are trying to tell me that you’d be just fine, minding your own business spinning the old hamster wheel with a pretty young thing near you, all sweaty from the morning cycle commute. Smell of pheromones and perfume in the air so thick you can taste it. And you’d go: “Right... I am going to do my timesheet today”?

Comment

On the other hand, you are trying to tell me that you’d be just fine, minding your own business spinning the old hamster wheel with a pretty young thing near you, all sweaty from the morning cycle commute. Smell of pheromones and perfume in the air so thick you can taste it. And you’d go: “Right... I am going to do my timesheet today”?
                    Jesus wept.. [emoji849]
                    If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

Not proud about it but... some things haven’t changed much since then.
                      incel, or just fecking socially inept?

and, yes. i'd be just fine, thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X