• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Public Sector Rules, coming to you soon...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No.. it is still showing the last update as 10 May 2017 but then there is no surprise there really!

Comment

Okie doke, thank you for replying...I know I'm a lazy sod and I could've looked myself...

Comment

Originally posted by Guesstimator View Post
        Okie doke, thank you for replying...I know I'm a lazy sod and I could've looked myself...
        Don't worry I am wouldn't be as rude as to suggest that

Comment

The guidance has been updated today.

Looks like a complete re-write of the page, removing lots of stuff (eg the whole section of "Roles" has been removed), plus giving some more explicit indicators around what is a public sector body than were there before (previous version was a bit vague). It's a shorter page now by a fair amount.

In terms of what is actually in there, I can't see anything "new" (ie different from my existing understanding of the rules).
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Does it go any way to addressing bodies that are using blanket determinations?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Don't you have time to read it?

The update on the page says the following:
              7 July 2017
              Updated to explain what a public authority is and what they need to do to follow the off-payroll working rules.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                No.

I'm not sure what guidance could be given to "address" bodies that are using blanket decisions beyond "don't do this". The note says "As a public authority, you’ll need to decide if the off payroll working rules apply and tell the worker, or the agency or other labour provider who supplies the worker, if they apply. You’ll need to do this before the contract or the work starts (whichever is later)." but nothing around blanket decisions.

And as I've said before, there may be a case where what appears to be a blanket decision is valid and there are bigger blankets that aren't valid. For example, an organisation may decide that all first line support workers are engaged and work in the same way and are inside IR35 - because the nature of the role is likely to be very similar (or even identical) then a blanket decision in that case may be perfectly valid. What isn't valid is for an organisation to say "all our contractors are inside" because they have failed the duty of care which is contained within the legislation.

One interesting section from the guidance note is this:

Originally posted by Guidance Note
                If the person you have a contract with asks for the reasons behind your decision in writing, you must respond within 31 days. If you don’t, you’ll become responsible for paying the tax and NICs due.
                So if the PSB decides you are inside, you should ALWAYS ask for an explanation behind that decision.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                X