• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

End of IT contracting this June?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

End of IT contracting this June?

I posted this in another thread but thought it's worth starting a new discussion. Times reported on May planning to end IT contracting in the form we know it. There still will be, but most likely all will be inside IR35.

For someone like me who sees contracting as means for making more money, and nothing more or less, that will be a game changer.

Politically it will be much easier to sell this than increasing the NICs of the Uber taxi driver. Considering the financial mayhem that will come with Brexit and the huge hole that it will open in the budget, I think this time it's serious as cancer.

Below the link.

Theresa May to Abolish Contracting Profession in June

Poor article, the author doesn't seem to have journalism skills, is it someone's blog ?

Comment

You posted this thread in General and were directed to the Public Sector forum. What information do you want?

Contracting since the advent of IR35 has been about more than just the money.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

That blog is essentially a random word generator. There might be bits of truth sprinkled in, but generally poor reporting IMO.

On the topic, I guess it will come down to the health of public sector IT projects once the new IR35 laws come in, personally I think it could go both ways. The projects might fall on their arse, or Indian sweatshop "consultancies" might fill the void.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
          That blog is essentially a random word generator. There might be bits of truth sprinkled in, but generally poor reporting IMO.

On the topic, I guess it will come down to the health of public sector IT projects once the new IR35 laws come in, personally I think it could go both ways. The projects might fall on their arse, or Indian sweatshop "consultancies" might fill the void.
          By calling it a 'skills shortage'.
          When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post

In which case, the government will be responsible for the financial death of the country, with millions of potential tax revenue flowing over to India.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              In which case, the government will be responsible for the financial death of the country, with millions of potential tax revenue flowing over to India.
              And millions flowing back to Conservative pockets through unofficial (kickbacks) or very official ("donations") channels.
              Which is, let's face it, the only thing that matters to the lot currently defining policy.
              Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
                And millions flowing back to Conservative pockets through unofficial (kickbacks) or very official ("donations") channels.
                Which is, let's face it, the only thing that matters to the lot currently defining policy.
                It doesn't even matter who's in power any more. They're all terrible. The revolution cannot be far off at this rate.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                  It doesn't even matter who's in power any more. They're all terrible. The revolution cannot be far off at this rate.
                  The concept of revolution is antithetic to the British national ethos - suffering in silence is more like it.
                  Besides, for a revolution, you need revolutionaries, not an army of slugs sedated by bread and circuses...
                  So, sorry, but probably not in this generation nor the next.
                  Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

It all depends what "control" means - so no change there.

Admin used to replace links to that site with "notausefulsite". When did that stop?

Comment

Working...
                    X