• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

OTS Small Company Taxation Review

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Watching Parliament TV
    I didnt realise anyone watched this. Fair play.

Comment

Originally posted by saptastic View Post
      It's great if you have difficultly sleeping.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
        Watching Parliament TV and caught this Ten minute rule motion from 2 March. Illustrates the continued pressure from the opposite end of the spectrum (i.e. low-paid workers being stiffed by their "employers"). Not a great cocktail.
        Interesting (worth watching), and it is a real problem both for the workers affected, and for the rest of us when any "solution" catches people it was never meant to target. He makes their case well. One of the things the new CRSE will be looking at is the characteristics of a vulnerable (self employed) worker, to assist with that distinction.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
          Interesting (worth watching), and it is a real problem both for the workers affected, and for the rest of us when any "solution" catches people it was never meant to target. He makes their case well. One of the things the new CRSE will be looking at is the characteristics of a vulnerable (self employed) worker, to assist with that distinction.
          Yep, it's easy to forget that from our privileged position. Relatively speaking, you'd think this problem would be easy to tackle, although I haven't thought about it carefully. For example, it should be possible to restrict self-employment (impose employment) when the contracted rate falls below a certain threshold and that income originates (largely) from a single employer. Another option would be to focus on certain industries/jobs where this is common. This is less about restricting legitimate freedoms and more about addressing unscrupulous employers. It should be possible to design something that minimizes the former (without getting into the more complex arguments of what distinguishes employment from self-employment).
          Last edited by jamesbrown; 8 March 2016, 09:21.

Comment

Originally posted by saptastic View Post
            More often than I'd care to admit...

Comment

Working...
            X