• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A New Business Entity Test

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    Could you simplify it completely by using a percentage of costs from turnover as a determinant? E.g. if your business costs are more than 10% of turnover 'IR35' [placeholder for replacement] won't apply?
    I wouldnt be happy with that personally. My costs are around 7.5% of turnover, but I have multiple clients, including direct B2B and my turnover is such that I'm likely to be kicked off the FRS this year. The bulk of the expenses come from working for one client so the %tge of turnover is relativley low.

Anyone working remotely, having a local client(s) etc could potentially lose out as well as T&S are generally our biggest on going costs.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Could you simplify it completely by using a percentage of costs from turnover as a determinant? E.g. if your business costs are more than 10% of turnover 'IR35' [placeholder for replacement] won't apply?
      You can do what you want with deeming criteria, but they'll always end up favouring certain sectors or business models in a more or less arbitrary way. For example, picture a small business that operates from their own premises (limited T&S) and has meaningful expenses on equipment, but nothing like 10% of turnover, especially for a business with a relatively high turnover.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        I wouldnt be happy with that personally. My costs are around 7.5% of turnover, but I have multiple clients, including direct B2B and my turnover is such that I'm likely to be kicked off the FRS this year. The bulk of the expenses come from working for one client so the %tge of turnover is relativley low.

Anyone working remotely, having a local client(s) etc could potentially lose out as well as T&S are generally our biggest on going costs.
        Fair enough, just a thought
        Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

That just favours people with low turnover.

Comment

Originally posted by Danglekt View Post
            That just favours people with low turnover.
            Please see above
            Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Encourages people to what a load into a pension plan instead.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                Encourages people to what a load into a pension plan instead.
                I thought government was all about encouraging pension savings.

It would certainly incentivise someone near the threshold to A) cheat or B) suddenly need a new laptop or printer or some other legitimate but unneeded expense.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                  However, perhaps more importantly from HMRC's perspective, is whether it has the advantage of increasing tax take sufficiently.
                  If it helps them filter out the cases where they are almost sure to lose, then it will probably increase tax take because they can target investigations at the high risk people.

Really, this is all about putting mascara on pig eyebrows. IR35 should just die.

Comment

Two sides to it. We prove we're not disguised permies is one of them, as per the checklist of permie rights that we don't get.
                    The other is clientcos avoiding NICs - this is the side that should be implemented in some other way. Contractors should be proved to be engaged for clearly defined pieces of worked that are non-repeatable, i.e. cleaners must become FTEs.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                      Two sides to it. We prove we're not disguised permies is one of them, as per the checklist of permie rights that we don't get.
                      The other is clientcos avoiding NICs - this is the side that should be implemented in some other way. Contractors should be proved to be engaged for clearly defined pieces of worked that are non-repeatable, i.e. cleaners must become FTEs.
                      Thing is a number of us ARE disguised permies and I would like to see something separating them out from the rest of us. Just having a business and paying divis' does not mean everyone by default is a contractor in the proper sense.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X