• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Website

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We're all on the same side, stop trying to knock each other down.

@eek - If you want this to be a community driven, stick it on github and let us PR. Who the tulip cares about who PMs who and who's in the special editing group, if the PR is good, merge it.

Oh and while this annoying comment will be annoying, and I'm sorry for that, but rather than using Wordpress, use something like Jekyll. It'll take you an hour to get up and running and you can use github + cloudflare to host it HTTPS terminated for free.

We don't really need to be selling ourselves as expert contractors only to get our site hacked because we overspecced what only needs to be HTML as a big unsecured blob of PHP. (I actually like PHP, before anyone thinks I'm trying to start a language war)

Comment

Originally posted by fool View Post
      We're all on the same side, stop trying to knock each other down.

@eek - If you want this to be a community driven, stick it on github and let us PR. Who the tulip cares about who PMs who and who's in the special editing group, if the PR is good, merge it.

Oh and while this annoying comment will be annoying, and I'm sorry for that, but rather than using Wordpress, use something like Jekyll. It'll take you an hour to get up and running and you can use github + cloudflare to host it HTTPS terminated for free.

We don't really need to be selling ourselves as expert contractors only to get our site hacked because we overspecced what only needs to be HTML as a big unsecured blob of PHP. (I actually like PHP, before anyone thinks I'm trying to start a language war)
      The only reason the PM stuff is here at all is because I certain poster wanted to make a joke about it (personal I have him on ignore but sometimes you can't)...

As for changing the hosting platform, wordpress for me works. Yes it may not be the greatest system in the world and yes I could use static html but I don't want to learn something new when I just want it done today and wordpress is simple.

The only issue here is that I went on holiday and someone decided, instead of helping, to make a poor joke of things.

And I will admit that I'm having major doubts about doing anything. At the moment I really could just say screw the industry and rejoin my old consultancy. The offer is good with a promise of none of the permie crap they know I hate...
      Last edited by eek; 10 September 2015, 09:28.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        The only reason the PM stuff is here at all is because I certain poster wanted to make a joke about it (personal I have him on ignore but sometimes you can't)...

As for changing the hosting platform, wordpress for me works. Yes it may not be the greatest system in the world and yes I could use static html but I don't want to learn something new when I just want it done today and wordpress is simple.
        I can't really change your mind, but I will reiterate, I'd have given a PR with a change to jekyll if this was on github. I haven't got a clue whether we actually have any good web design guys on here who'll actually send PR's though.

And I will admit that I'm having major doubts about doing anything. At the moment I really could just say screw the industry and rejoin my old consultancy. The offer is good with a promise of none of the permie crap they know I hate...
        I'm not sure it'll help and I'm working on plans to no longer be a contractor myself but don't do something to stave off the default IR35 bs nobody else is going to.

Comment

Yep because it didn't cost anything... Why?
          Aren't you paying £99 per year for the Comodo TLS certificate?

Nice layout by the way. Slow though, what hardware is it running on?

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
            Aren't you paying £99 per year for the Comodo TLS certificate?

Nice layout by the way. Slow though, what hardware is it running on?
            Usually its $1.99 but was free with the domain. (namecheap.com) do stupid deals..

hosting is on a hosted box. Haven't set up caching on it yet though which would speed it up a lot.

Comment

Suity's offer to help appeared to be genuine, as indeed was mine. Methinks you're a tad over sensitive.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                Suity's offer to help appeared to be genuine, as indeed was mine. Methinks you're a tad over sensitive.
                I give up... Suity's offer was totally and utterly none genuine... If you check back he hasn't offered to do anything and never PMed me.....

But if you think joking about doing some requirement gathering that isn't required and was never asked for is an offer to help then I accept I may be wrong.

Either way I'm just going to take the next 3 weeks off, focus on plan b and plan c and leave everyone too it...

CUK password changed to something random I don't know and the website is going down tonight....
                Last edited by eek; 10 September 2015, 11:02.

Comment

If you have someone on ignore then you won't get their PM. I had to PM BrowneIssue on CM's behalf once because he had her on ignore so wasn't getting her messages.

So maybe it's not really down to Suity not meeting your requirements, rather you throwing technical obstacles in the way.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

the website is going down tonight....
                    I'll just take this opportunity to remind people who want to contribute, the IPSE consultation is still open until this weekend. So please make the most of your chance to contribute to people who will be making a series of responses to these issues.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I give up... Suity's offer was totally and utterly none genuine... If you check back he hasn't offered to do anything and never PMed me.....

But if you think joking about doing some requirement gathering that isn't required and was never asked for is an offer to help then I accept I may be wrong.

Either way I'm just going to take the next 3 weeks off, focus on plan b and plan c and leave everyone too it...

CUK password changed to something random I don't know and the website is going down tonight....
                      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
                      X