• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Freelance Limited Company (FLC) offering from IPSE

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freelance Limited Company (FLC) offering from IPSE

I'm guessing the IPSE members are starting to get emails about the Freelancer Limited Company (FLC) offering and associated links...

Would anyone care to be the first to open what I expect to be a very long discussion?
    Last edited by northernladuk; 17 August 2015, 20:34.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I'm guessing the IPSE members are starting to get emails about the FLC offering and associated links...

Would anyone care to be the first to open what I expect to be a very long discussion?
    I haven't received anything, but I seem to have opted out of IPSE e-mails at some point, and it's impossible to find where this can be "undone" (and I'm not totally sure I want to undo it ). The website seems to be fubared at present anyway, and the forums are inaccessible

Comment

I will refrain from offering an opinion (for now, anyway!) as I've already had chance to weigh up and argue about the pros and cons and make my own mind up. But I would urge people to properly read the documents linked in the email (the downloads are working for me even without the site) - not all the detail in the FLC document is covered by the survey questions, and Chris Sanger's letter gives a good background as to IPSE's reasoning behind the concept.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
        I will refrain from offering an opinion (for now, anyway!) as I've already had chance to weigh up and argue about the pros and cons and make my own mind up. But I would urge people to properly read the documents linked in the email (the downloads are working for me even without the site) - not all the detail in the FLC document is covered by the survey questions, and Chris Sanger's letter gives a good background as to IPSE's reasoning behind the concept.
        Assuming the documents aren't yet for the broadest consumption (although I'd hope they would be very soon, because there are a lot of clever folks here that aren't members of IPSE), any chance you could PM the links to me?

Comment

More or less says, "ooo, this is bad, we really do need an FLC now like wot we said".

That's not what I wanted hear, tho I expected it. Wish I'd cancelled now, got a second chance when they effed up the renewal process.

Würst than useless.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            More or less says, "ooo, this is bad, we really do need an FLC now like wot we said".

That's not what I wanted hear, tho I expected it. Wish I'd cancelled now, got a second chance when they effed up the renewal process.

Würst than useless.
            +1 totally and utterly, completely incompetent.

Having spent £100,000s fighting for S660 with arctic they are giving it up without a fight.

worse the solution to the problem, the one both me and Lisa have already worked out is about the only solution is hidden in page 8.

I quote

Requiring a minimum or maximum turnover
            Any turnover test would need to take into consideration periods of no work or ‘benched’
            individuals. Such a test would penalise genuine freelancers who are in periods of low
            income whether that be due to a break, being between contracts, low levels of business
            or otherwise. Furthermore, it might deter those starting up in freelancing where the
            turnover is uncertain.
            As I have continually stated for weeks the problem is that IPSE aren't listening to what the problem is as HMRC perceive it. Only when you understand that can you answer it with things they want.

This is not a solution to HMRCs problems. Its not a solution to IPSE's problems either as they are hanging an awful large number of people out to dry... S660 gone...

I can't be bothered to find if they have an answer to the expected problem that "agencies will only work with FLCs". Where is that addressed.

Meanwhile I'll leave others to debate as I'm trying to get some proper work done and firm up the consultancy I'm working on to escape this disaster which looks like it could be of IPSE's own making...
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Well, not being in receipt of IPSE publications since I loathe the organisation due to its past "achievements" I'm obviously unsighted on their proposals, but reading what Eek and Stek said it's what many of us feared and expected.

Even if the proposed terms aren't that awful now there's nothing to prevent them being made appalling in the future and once the basic structure is up you can bet that it will be FLC or no contract from the Agents after no time. All as predicted, including IPSE selling its constituency firmly down the river.

Comment

Not had the chance to read all of it yet, but this does come across as a rather desperate last bid attempt...

Comment

I'm guessing the IPSE members are starting to get emails about the Freelancer Limited Company (FLC) offering and associated links...
                  ...and not just IPSE members.

I won't post the links here but if anyone wants them the docs are effectively in the public domain already.

Comment

We must do something. This is something. Therefore, we must do this.

Comment

Working...
                    X