• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Have you written to your MP yet?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I blame the BN66 lot for giving the rest of us a bad name and putting us on HMRC's radar.
    LOL
    'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
    Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
      Yep, being so involved with NTRT, I know that real democracy does not exist.
      On the contrary, I think this is real "democracy" in action.

Democracy isn't this warm fuzzy utopia, where everyone's views get heard.

At the end of the day, democracy is all about the majority imposing their will on the minority. If that can be done without upsetting the minority too much all the better. But when push comes to shove, it's the majority view that matters.

However you try and spin it, we are in the minority, hence our views get ignored.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post

At the end of the day, democracy is all about the majority imposing their will on the minority. If that can be done without upsetting the minority too much all the better. But when push comes to shove, it's the majority view that matters.

However you try and spin it, we are in the minority, hence our views get ignored.
        True.

Until they can't get any engineers to keep the lights on and the trains running, well if there are any trains in the first place.....
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I don't think the majority view matters at all. I'll state my views, but I'm sure I'll be asked to remove my tinfoil hat...

The top 1% are the only ones that matter. The rich and famous who party the night away with the Camerons at a 100 acre mansion in the Cotswolds - according to this week's Sunday Times. They are going to make damned sure the money stays where it belongs, not in the hands of us plebs.

The other 99% (the "majority") are spun the austerity line. It's not by accident that all the political parties are virtually the same - it's to maintain the status quo so nothing really changes. That's why the press and even parts of the Labour party are so scared of Jeremy Corbyn.

Cameron is doing a wonderful job for his crony friends at Crapita, just like Patricia Hewitt did under New Liebour for outsourcing. Once HMRC have completely stitched up all contractors with IR35, taxes and red tape, his mates will have a monopoly on big IT projects.

I saw this happening right from the start, and looking at the recent threads on CUK, it's only starting to dawn on people.
          'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
          Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Probably even fewer than that, i.e. the 1% of the 1%.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
              I don't think the majority view matters at all. I'll state my views, but I'm sure I'll be asked to remove my tinfoil hat...

The top 1% are the only ones that matter. The rich and famous who party the night away with the Camerons at a 100 acre mansion in the Cotswolds - according to this week's Sunday Times. They are going to make damned sure the money stays where it belongs, not in the hands of us plebs.

The other 99% (the "majority") are spun the austerity line. It's not by accident that all the political parties are virtually the same - it's to maintain the status quo so nothing really changes. That's why the press and even parts of the Labour party are so scared of Jeremy Corbyn.

Cameron is doing a wonderful job for his crony friends at Crapita, just like Patricia Hewitt did under New Liebour for outsourcing. Once HMRC have completely stitched up all contractors with IR35, taxes and red tape, his mates will have a monopoly on big IT projects.

I saw this happening right from the start, and looking at the recent threads on CUK, it's only starting to dawn on people.
              you only(!) need to be earning about 150k (before tax) to be in the top 1% - I suspect there's a fair few on here that qualify for that if we take off our avoidance glasses

https://www.gov.uk/government/statis...-and-after-tax

Comment

I suspect there's a fair few on here that qualify for that if we take off our avoidance glasses
                That may be the case, however my invite to the Camerons did not drop on the mat this year .

Yup, try getting a Crapita contract to be outside IR35, pretty much impossible now, as far as I understand it.

I also believe they have contibuted to the T&S debacle.
                They send their consultants all over the country, when they already have suitable and qualified staff based near the relevant sites.

Why?

They also happen to have their own travel agency.

Kerrrrchiing.
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

The top 1% don't get rich through the rest of us being taxed, the money doesn't go to them. And they don't care if the rest of us are earning £50k or £100k when they are all multi-millionaires.

You get rich by making money, not by stopping other people making it.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Understood. But take that to the extreme and you get what happened in Nazi Germany. And Hitler never got more than 32% of the vote.

NTRT were hit with retrospective legislation. As soon as you accept that you are on a slippery slope to Nazi Germany.

HHRC knew about Montpelier avoidance in 2001. They took no action until 2007 when they misled parliament. Another worrying aspect is that HMRC appear to control parliament.

But hey. Who cares. As long as one is okay then stuff anyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      Understood. But take that to the extreme and you get what happened in Nazi Germany. And Hitler never got more than 32% of the vote.

NTRT were hit with retrospective legislation. As soon as you accept that you are on a slippery slope to Nazi Germany.

HHRC knew about Montpelier avoidance in 2001. They took no action until 2007 when they misled parliament. Another worrying aspect is that HMRC appear to control parliament.

But hey. Who cares. As long as one is okay then stuff anyone else.
                      I don't disagree with any of that - I'm merely pointing out how "democracy" works in reality, compared to how we think/believe/want democracy to work.

And yes, taken to an extreme, democracy will deliver the occasional Hitler...

Comment

Working...
                      X