• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any point in contracting after April 2016?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarkT View Post
    Well, that's pretty simple to sort out isn't it? A contract of employment and we pay both of us more than the minimum wage. I've had three accountants tell me that's perfectly above board. Obviously things may change, but we, as contractors, have always found a way around things before, I'd expect a similar way to be found this time.

We should just wait for the proposal though, I suppose it's possible for them to just leave the whole thing alone ? He asks hopefully!
    If it's a simple as "number of employees" I'll be employing the entire family on zero hours contracts

It's all speculation at the moment and it's really to take a doom and gloom view.. we (Contractors) will prevail!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      No

Next.
      + 1

Any point in breathing after April 2016 ?

If you are good at what you do, you should be able to figure this out like a grown up.

Good opportunity to thin the herd of the "ubiquitous I expect to get paid a lot of money because I deserve it and I'm like really good". Yeah right.

Comment

There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by HarryCodLife View Post
          There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know.
          There are also unknown knowns, but not a lot of people know that. [/Michael Caine mode]

For me, this way of working is mostly about avoiding performance plans, annual reviews, 360s, the boredom of being in one place for too long, the knowledge that even if I hate everyone I work with / hate the project then it's only for (normally) 3 months and then I'm out of there.

I do need a higher rate - partly, yes I am worth it, but partly because the nature of what I do means I will be in and out of companies all of the time. There is no long-term need for someone like me in most businesses, and so I run a constant risk of bench time which I need to compensate for. As long as I can pay the bills and I'm at least as well off as a permie (taking into account bench time, expenses, etc) then I will work this way.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            The answer to your question is Yes, No and Maybe...

Yes - If you are a die hard contractor, never ever go permie and are not up for making a reasonable decision when you have all the facts.
            No - If you are a lilly livered bedwetter and don't want the hassle of trying to understand the current situation armed with all the facts.
            Maybe - If you are a seasoned contractor and are willing to wait until we actually have some facts rather than make knee jerk assumptions based on consultation documents and no hard facts...

Which is right for you?
            Jeez

the question was based on what we know now, not a knee jerk reaction.

Lighten up or count to 10 before posting please.

Comment

Ok, to start I am sorry if I should have known as I haven't read everything about this.

But, what is defining if you can claim expenses or not if the new proposed rules actually goes ahead? Is it based on the number of employees, or is it anything else? I am thinking of if its possible to bypass this by setting up consultancy company together with fellow contractors and therefor being a consultancy.

Comment

Originally posted by dynamicsaxcontractor View Post
                Ok, to start I am sorry if I should have known as I haven't read everything about this.

But, what is defining if you can claim expenses or not if the new proposed rules actually goes ahead? Is it based on the number of employees, or is it anything else? I am thinking of if its possible to bypass this by setting up consultancy company together with fellow contractors and therefor being a consultancy.
                Possibly but there are so many challenges to this it's just not true. There has to be a market for you and it's got to work. In a vast majority of cases it won't. If you are trying to think about quick get arounds you need to think one step further to see if it's even viable.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Possibly but there are so many challenges to this it's just not true. There has to be a market for you and it's got to work. In a vast majority of cases it won't. If you are trying to think about quick get arounds you need to think one step further to see if it's even viable.
                  It's definitely time to think a step ahead, if this expense thing goes ahead I probably will have to turn down at least 50% of contracts offered. A new IR35 regime on top of that and I cant continue, or see very little point in doing so. Why should I travel around the country/Europe if I earn the same, or less as I could if taking on a perm role down the closest end client?

Comment

Working...
                  X