• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Discussion document on IR35 published

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    Try again... If we were excluded from the flat rate scheme how would you avoid doing it....

Yes we get a benefit from it (2.6%) but that isn't a selling point to HMRC that is another reason for not letting us get that benefit... Its not as if we need to accurately account for 150 cups of coffee a day with additional purchases that may or may not have vat included....
    that's a different question - we aren't excluded from it (yet) so complaining about having to do it at the moment is unsubstantiated

you'd still end up with more money in your pocket even if you only had 1 VAT-claimable expense per year (assuming you're already set up), my point is that it isn't just an annoying bit of paperwork - it works in yourco's favour so don't complain about it

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
      that's a different question - we aren't excluded from it (yet) so complaining about having to do it at the moment is unsubstantiated

you'd still end up with more money in your pocket even if you only had 1 VAT-claimable expense per year (assuming you're already set up), my point is that it isn't just an annoying bit of paperwork - it works in yourco's favour so don't complain about it
      I wasn't complaining about it.

I was complaining about those people who continually claim they pay £x thousands more in tax now using a limited company than they did as an employee and then include their VAT payments within that calculation...
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I was complaining about those people who continually claim they pay £x thousands more in tax now using a limited company than they did as an employee and then include their VAT payments within that calculation...
        that's alright then, I agree, being FRS vat-registered takes away from how much tax "you pay" (rather than add to)

Comment

that's alright then, I agree, being FRS vat-registered takes away from how much tax "you pay" (rather than add to)
          The only downside being that it makes you feel like you're earning 20% more than you actually are
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

What about people that pay x more thousands in tax now than as a permie, excluding VAT?

Like me.

Comment

Originally posted by Danglekt View Post
              What about people that pay x more thousands in tax now than as a permie, excluding VAT?

Like me.
              that's not the point (most of us are in the same boat as you)

the point is you're not paying as much as if you paid PAYE on your turnover, that's why hmrc are trying to change the rules

Comment

that's not the point (most of us are in the same boat as you)

the point is you're not paying as much as if you paid PAYE on your turnover, that's why hmrc are trying to change the rules
                And that is one bit to emphasis. My turnover may be £100k + VAT, but if I was to take a permie role it would probably pay £60k due to the impact Mutual obligation and other employer costs would add.
                Last edited by eek; 5 August 2015, 14:55.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

The contracting industry is doomed if this legislation goes through as proposed in the discussion document.

No client is going to sign on a dotted line saying that they have no supervision, direction or control over contractors that are working in their organisation.
                  They will simply take the safe option of saying that they do have control meaning contractors are then liable to be treated as employees by HMRC despite having none of the protections that employees have (eg. holiday pay, job security, sick days etc.)

This, combined with personal tax rates that are now going to be higher than tax rates for people paid only via salary, removal of tax breaks on travelling expenses etc. means the tories are single handedly going to destroy the flexible workforce that contracting provides. I thought they were supposed to be be party of small business entrepreneurial types.

I'd recommend as many people as possible reply to the consultation document.

Comment

IPSE members, see Andy's update here.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                      IPSE members, see Andy's update here.
                      W. T. F.

Comment

Working...
                      X