• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Discussion document on IR35 published

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Coalman View Post
    The big thing for me is FUTURE work. I am centrally based so can commute at 1hr approx to a a good number of locations, and chosen to live near a train line to London so can contract in London if cannot find anything local. Expecting to have to do this at some point, and expecting to have to stay in London 3-4 nights a week to support this. This is now going to be very financially difficult to do unless rates increase to cover the costs.

Eek - is your survey going to be able to capture this kind of issue, i.e. impact on future work or is this irrelevant as it is not a current example.
    I'm trying to work out how to do that. I may add questions regarding current base location, current work location and plausible client locations. The problem is the more questions you add and the more complex they are the worse the results you get...

London is actually an issues I want to deal with separately as I want to try and group contractors in the commuter belt from everyone else...

As for future work I think that's covered by

If the proposals go through so you can no longer claim expenses it will significantly affect my ability to travel for contracts as it will make it more costly for me to travel between client sites as needed. Y/N
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      London is actually an issues I want to deal with separately as I want to try and group contractors in the commuter belt from everyone else...
      Makes good sense to me as even if you're in the commuter belt travel is quite expensive, I was quite surprised about how much it cost to travel around London while I was there as there's no way you can drive around London unless you're a sadist.
      In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
        Makes good sense to me as even if you're in the commuter belt travel is quite expensive, I was quite surprised about how much it cost to travel around London while I was there as there's no way you can drive around London unless you're a sadist.
        The issue there is that a lot of permanent staff commute into central London daily. Contractors expense it while they pay that £3-8k out of their taxed income....

As such I want to differentiate them in case it has an impact on actual figures....

Comment

Right,

I'm going to set up an online survey to see if we can collect some figures: Thinking of the following questions:-

Industry sector (IT / Oil / Business Consulting...)

Travel Expenses last month :
          Average monthly expenses last 3 years:

Percentage of turnover: %

Stay over during week: Y / N

Travel distance to current client : xx miles / xx hours
          Average distance to client last 3 years: xx miles / xx hours

Number of different clients last 3 years:
          Multiple clients at some time: Y / N

Do you agree with these statements

These are legitimate costs that I would not incur as a permanent employee: Y/N

If the proposals go through so you can no longer claim expenses it will significantly affect my ability to travel for contracts as it will make it more costly for me to travel between client sites as needed. Y/N

Anything else people can suggest or wish to amend?

Once I've done this (over the weekend) I'll share the link so people can advertise it. I plan to correlate the results in the last week of august...
          Total and unashamed bump
          Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Another bump for Eek to see how he's getting on with the survey

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

The survey is on its way and should be ready tonight. Sorry for the delay but family got in the way...

Comment

The survey is on its way and should be ready tonight. Sorry for the delay but family got in the way...
                Families are like that Thanks Eek - you're a star

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
                  there's no way you can drive around London unless you're a sadist.
                  Sorry to be pedantic...but surely you meant masochist?
                  Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
                    Sorry to be pedantic...but surely you meant masochist?
                    Have you seen him drive?

Comment

The survey is up at http://goo.gl/forms/O2O4WhscV4 .

Please share to any contractors you know...

Comment

Working...
                      X