• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Excel 2010 changing UNC paths to local drive

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excel 2010 changing UNC paths to local drive

Hi,

I've got a Excel sheet that contains UNC hyperlinks to a large number of PDF's. The file lives along with the PDF's on a folder on the server.

Every now and then however and I can't see a pattern to this, Excel decides to change all the hyperlinks to local ones instead, even though a copy of the file doesn't exist there (C:\Docs and Settings\%username%\application data\microsoft\excel\filename.pdf).

I then need to go and restore from the most recent backup which is really beginning to get on my nerves. Any ideas why it might be doing this? Had a Google, and some of the suggestions won't work, i.e adding the path to the "Open when Excel Starts" option, as they're not all Excel files of course.

Originally posted by Crumlin View Post
    Hi,

I've got a Excel sheet that contains UNC hyperlinks to a large number of PDF's. The file lives along with the PDF's on a folder on the server.

Every now and then however and I can't see a pattern to this, Excel decides to change all the hyperlinks to local ones instead, even though a copy of the file doesn't exist there (C:\Docs and Settings\%username%\application data\microsoft\excel\filename.pdf).

I then need to go and restore from the most recent backup which is really beginning to get on my nerves. Any ideas why it might be doing this? Had a Google, and some of the suggestions won't work, i.e adding the path to the "Open when Excel Starts" option, as they're not all Excel files of course.
    One of the answers from this thread is to use the HYPERLINK function.

1) Rather than a straight link, use the =HYPERLINK("full path and filename") or just store the fullpath and file in one cell, e.g. K7 and use =HYPERLINK(K7) and Excel won't remap your stuff.
    They also mentioned using relative paths if the files are stored in a static folder structure.

I'm no expert on Excel so forgive me if this is obvious and you have tried it already.
    Last edited by woohoo; 29 January 2014, 14:15.

Comment

agree use the hyperlink, you can also use a hidden cell for path then programatically generate the hyperlink, that really stops it playing silly beggars.

I think the change is because it thinks its going offline, windows networking is really broken.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
      X