• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wondering about a cheap stylus/pad for doodling

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wondering about a cheap stylus/pad for doodling

I'm no artist, in fact I totally suck at everything artistic, but in my area of software development I sometimes need to throw together rough placeholder artwork to be used as textures on 3D models, or to describe an idea to a proper artist rather than use words.

Using a mouse makes me even more useless - trying to lasso an area of pixels accurately for instance. So I was wondering if a cheap tablet/stylus might be worth a go. I don't need billions of levels of pressure as I have fists of ham, just a way to precisely control what I'm doing.

Has anyone else tried this, and can advise me? I know nothing about such devices - do they act as a 2nd mouse, how do I know where the pen cursor is when I'm not drawing, etc?

Thanks for any input (excuse the pun).

Looking at the cheap end, this came up on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trust-Ultra-.../dp/B003MG11AM
    Last edited by d000hg; 23 January 2014, 13:43.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Try some of the lower/middle priced products from the Wacom Intuos range.
    You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

Anyone else want to weigh in?

Comment

I've been tinkering with the autodesk sketchpad app on my X230 tablet. That is quite cool.

The Wacom tablets seem to be pretty standard, I had one years ago but I think it got ebayed.

They won't really help if you can't draw to begin with though. Perhaps get some practice in with some cheap pencils and paper first?
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          They won't really help if you can't draw to begin with though. Perhaps get some practice in with some cheap pencils and paper first?
          I can't draw well, but I can at least sketch on paper enough to get my point across. Trying to use a mouse, I lose even that. So I just want to remove the hindrance the PC imposes - then as a side benefit I might not reach for a notepad when I need to doodle equations or sketches, which will inevitably get lost, but use the PC and save everything.

Comment

As soon as I saw "cheap" I didn't reply back then.

As a little food for thought though, I have a Samsung Note 10.1 2014 edition. Nice piece of kit, clear screen, fast, stylus and a good all-rounder, about £400.

They are bringing out a 12 inch tablet and the "Pro" 10.1 too, not sure on release dates or specs at the moment.
            Last edited by Scrag Meister; 4 February 2014, 13:55.
            Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              I can't draw well, but I can at least sketch on paper enough to get my point across. Trying to use a mouse, I lose even that. So I just want to remove the hindrance the PC imposes - then as a side benefit I might not reach for a notepad when I need to doodle equations or sketches, which will inevitably get lost, but use the PC and save everything.
              Fair enough. The Wacom tablets should do the trick then.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Not quite what you were after...

I used to use an AceCAD Digimemo, which takes an A4 or A5 pad of paper and you use their special pen to write / draw with. This then gets captured onto the memory of the device or an SD card, and you get exactly what you have written. You can also try handwriting recognition, but I wouldn't bother.

You then get your notes in paper form, so have them handy, but a digital copy of everything as well. The only thing is you have to remember to press a button to turn the "page" on the tablet when you turn onto a new piece of paper.

And if you doodle, as I do in boring meetings, you either have to stop doodling or use a picture editor to remove them from the digital copy (unless you want them preserved).
                I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Not sure it would suit my uses but that's a neat idea.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
                    Not quite what you were after...

I used to use an AceCAD Digimemo, which takes an A4 or A5 pad of paper and you use their special pen to write / draw with. This then gets captured onto the memory of the device or an SD card, and you get exactly what you have written. You can also try handwriting recognition, but I wouldn't bother.

You then get your notes in paper form, so have them handy, but a digital copy of everything as well. The only thing is you have to remember to press a button to turn the "page" on the tablet when you turn onto a new piece of paper.

And if you doodle, as I do in boring meetings, you either have to stop doodling or use a picture editor to remove them from the digital copy (unless you want them preserved).
                    I had something similar by Staedtler, one of these, which has a little doodah which clips onto your pad and a special pen, and it uses ultrasound or something to track the pen. It was OK for capturing pages as images but the handwriting recognition, which is why I bought it, wasn't up to much. The Wacom inkling does something similar I believe.

Comment

Working...
                    X