• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Linux based disk recovery tool

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linux based disk recovery tool

Old NAS based HD is showing folders but no files and I'd like to get the data back.

Took it out of its chassis, put it in a PC and booted with an Ubuntu CD.

xfs_repair isn't doing anything, so does anyone know of an alternative for recovering data from an xfs drive?

Ta

Pondy

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    Old NAS based HD is showing folders but no files and I'd like to get the data back.

Took it out of its chassis, put it in a PC and booted with an Ubuntu CD.

xfs_repair isn't doing anything, so does anyone know of an alternative for recovering data from an xfs drive?

Ta

Pondy
    Was it raided?

Comment

Nope. Single drive only.

Comment

Try mounting it on another Linux system and use debugfs though I have to say, I've never had much luck recovering stuff from Unix filesystems....

Comment

The one and only:
          SystemRescueCd
          <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

Xfs is journal'd so the risk of corruption should be lower than some other FS.
            Might be a silly question but you didnt rm any files?
            You might need to look for an undelete tool instead of a corruption repair tool...
            Don't believe it, until you see it!

Comment

Originally posted by darrylmg View Post
              Xfs is journal'd so the risk of corruption should be lower than some other FS.
              Might be a silly question but you didnt rm any files?
              You might need to look for an undelete tool instead of a corruption repair tool...
              "I" didn't rm anything. It's showing some of the folders but no files. xfs_repair gives a message about a bad superblock but can't find a secondary one.

Any undelete for xfs you'd recommend?

Ta

Comment

I've not had to use one on Linux before.

Is it definitely 1 disk partition on there?
                Does "fdisk" show anything to indicate multiple disk partitions?
                Don't believe it, until you see it!

Comment

Working...
                X