• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which language

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which language

Hello all,

I contract in the ERP sector and have an okay knowledge in SQL and VBA.

I want to learn a programming language but am unsure what to try, its more to fill my time on slow contracts but could later lead to a career change but certainly someting to add to the CV.

What langauges are most relevent now and still will be in the future, any suggestions?

Im not looking to shell out any money at this point so any free compiler recomendations would also be welcome.

Cheers.

Java.

But there's not money in it.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I'd recommend C#, apart from writing device drivers, it can do just about anything you need.
      Get one of the Visual Studio Express editions and away you go.
      I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Powershell is always good to learn these days. Not a programming language but it's reaching the point where everyone needs to know a bit

Comment

Scala has a good chance of being the next big thing IMO
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            Scala has a good chance of being the next big thing IMO
            My money would be on Javascript (not because its good, it just seems to be heading that way)...
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              My money would be on Javascript (not because its good, it just seems to be heading that way)...
              How much bigger can JavaScript get?
              99% of all client side browser functionality is written in it already!
              I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Originally posted by GlenW View Post
                99% of client side browser functionality is written in C++.

I know that's not what you mean, but it is what you said.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  99% of client side browser functionality is written in C++.

I know that's not what you mean, but it is what you said.
                  Smart arse!

Comment

Originally posted by GlenW View Post
                    The browser is unaware of any client side language. The what-you-call "functionality" is the DOM (Document Object Model). The translation from/to Javascript is done by the Javascript interpreter.

The DOM is fixed, while the JS interpreter is different for every browser, hence the differences, however minimal, in rendering across browsers.
                    <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

Working...
                    X