• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can't remote desktop to AWS EC2 instance at client site

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't remote desktop to AWS EC2 instance at client site

I've got a EC2 instance that I can connect to from home using mstsc.

Fails when I try from client site presumably because they are blocking the traffic. When I launch the mstsc shortcut it comes up with the standard can't connect error message. The same one you'd get if remote connections were disabled on the server.

Anyone know if there is anyway to get round that from AWS? Not really sure where to start.

Originally posted by DieScum View Post

Fails when I try from client site presumably because they are blocking the traffic. When I launch the mstsc shortcut it comes up with the standard can't connect error message. The same one you'd get if remote connections were disabled on the server.

Anyone know if there is anyway to get round that from AWS? Not really sure where to start.
    you have to get out of clientco's network first and some make it rather difficult.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by DieScum View Post

The only surefire way I found is to run Oracle Secure Global Desktop encrypted on port 443 on box or VM at home or in a data centre and hop from there. Last place I was at used some sort of packet inspection so even running sshd on a home box on port 80 or 443 was blocked.

Comment

I also usually tell the clients that their security setting are hurting productivity.
        In some cases I guess it's justified but in most it's just a precaution for no good reason.
        If EC2 is not suitable for said client, have them commission a server on their intranet and bill for the 2 months that you wait while they do that.

Comment

Working...
        X