• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Benefits of my own development laptop?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Benefits of my own development laptop?

I work as a software developer in a contract basis for a client. The client has provided me with a laptop to do my work. I am free to use my own machine if I wish.

I am considering purchasing a work laptop of my own and doing my development on that machine solely. When I move to my next client, I will use my own also. I like the idea of having more control over my workstation. I can customise it and be more comfortable developing on it.

Has anyone else done this? I'm trying to find out the Pros and Cons of doing this. A new machine is a lot of money but I can afford it.

Any input welcome.

You need to find clients who are happy to let you use your own kit - even though your current one does, that's no guarantee that any client will in the future.

This is particularly true if you are working on-site and expecting to plug directly into their network - it's different if you are working remotely.

One of the PMs with this client asked me about using my own kit because I have access to payroll data. The fact that I have access to payroll data regardless of kit, seemed to bypass him. That and my laptop is encrypted to a higher standard than their normal kit.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      You need to find clients who are happy to let you use your own kit - even though your current one does, that's no guarantee that any client will in the future.

This is particularly true if you are working on-site and expecting to plug directly into their network - it's different if you are working remotely.

One of the PMs with this client asked me about using my own kit because I have access to payroll data. The fact that I have access to payroll data regardless of kit, seemed to bypass him. That and my laptop is encrypted to a higher standard than their normal kit.
      All my clients so far have allowed it. Is it common to have them prohibit it? Is there a type of industry that forbids it? I usually work in eCommerce.

Comment

I haven't come across a bank that would allow this.

Everything is shut right down.

No installing your own software, actually it's a dismissable offence.
        Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
          All my clients so far have allowed it. Is it common to have them prohibit it? Is there a type of industry that forbids it? I usually work in eCommerce.
          In my experience, it's about 50/50. Banks certainly won't allow it.

Comment

Seems like a risk then. I cannot see myself in banking for a long time though.

Comment

The one client I have had that allowed it, insisted that the laptop be joined to their domain, meaning I no longer had admin rights to it (unless I logged in locally, but then I could't access their network).
              Still Invoicing

Comment

Even a top of the range macbook is less than £2000 when you claim the VAT back on capital expenditure.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
                  In my experience, it's about 50/50. Banks certainly won't allow it.
                  I'd say it was about 30/70.

Public sector probably wouldn't do it - central government won't. Most consultancies that I've worked with wouldn't allow it.

I only use my own with current client because it was quicker and easier to get me a secureID token and log on than it was to try and find me a laptop. My laptop is significantly more powerful than anything that they have on offer anyway.

If the client lets me use my own kit, then I build a virtual machine to work in, and then when I'm finished on the project I can just archive that away and move onto something else.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I found even quite small companies have strict IT policies about this sort of thing. Previous permieco. would let me remote desktop over VPN, but not have copies of code etc. on my own machine, and TBH I didn't really want to be in that position. It could be awkward when you leave if they want to inspect your machine to make sure you're not keeping anything you shouldn't be.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X