• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Benefits of my own development laptop?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

surely it would be a good idea to have your own dev environment for personal development anyway?

if you can use it on site just a bonus

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
      surely it would be a good idea to have your own dev environment for personal development anyway?

if you can use it on site just a bonus
      I have a private laptop but it's not powerful enough to run a lot of applications; just enough to do tutorials etc.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        I found even quite small companies have strict IT policies about this sort of thing. Previous permieco. would let me remote desktop over VPN, but not have copies of code etc. on my own machine, and TBH I didn't really want to be in that position. It could be awkward when you leave if they want to inspect your machine to make sure you're not keeping anything you shouldn't be.
        All that should be covered in your contract anyway i.e. you may by "accident" have the code but if you use it then they can sue you.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Everywhere I've worked would not allow you to connect your own machine to the network

Comment

It depends a lot what type of thing you're working on too. I should point out that although banks won't let you connect your own equipment to their network, I've worked on a project which was separate to the bank's main systems and used my own laptop for that. Indeed, it would have been impossible to work on it using the machines connected to the network because they were so locked down. But generally speaking, most places don't expect you to use your own machine, and most would probably rather you didn't. I keep reading that BYOD is catching on but I haven't seen much of that yet.

Edit: And yes, Faqqer's 30/70 split is probably more accurate than 50/50.

Edit2: And no jokes about me thinking it was BYOB please

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post

Edit: And yes, Faqqer's 30/70 split is probably more accurate than 50/50.
              70 disallow?

Comment

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
                70 disallow?
                Yep

Comment

Working...
                X