• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

whs 2011 (2008 based) crash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

whs 2011 (2008 based) crash

my whs has crashed, boots to recovery console and then when I try to move through the wizard I get parameter incorrect.

Now I managed to get to run a disk scan and it fixed my primary ssd but its saying there is no windows install found on cd booted repair option.

bit lost as it seems to be rare?

any ideas please.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    my whs has crashed, boots to recovery console and then when I try to move through the wizard I get parameter incorrect.

Now I managed to get to run a disk scan and it fixed my primary ssd but its saying there is no windows install found on cd booted repair option.

bit lost as it seems to be rare?

any ideas please.
    Split the mirror and boot from other side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Comment

mirror

it had a primary SSD and standard drive.

I ended up with a reinstall.

backups first priority.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        mirror

it had a primary SSD and standard drive.

I ended up with a reinstall.

backups first priority.
        The WHS2011 backup system is really quite good. I gave it a fairly good thrashing 2-3 years ago and it never let me down.

Tip 1: once you have set up your initial backup, go into the performance options and change the settings for each disk except for the hidden partition to Incremental, and you will find that incremental backups of large files such as VM disks complete in just a few minutes. External USB disks make good backup targets; rotating them is recommended, and Server 2008 backup allows you to set up several at a time, choosing a physically connected one at runtime.

You can also do a bare metal restore to different hardware using these backups, which is handy for migration or if your whole machine croaks. Note that if you do this, the first boot after the restore might appear to hang, but in fact it's working out what's what - let it run and it will come up with a working system on the new hardware.

Tip 2: Set it up to backup Windows 7 machines, and you can create a USB stick to boot them from to do a bare metal restore. I tested this and it works nicely. Unfortunately Winders8 (or more specifically GUID partitioned systems) ain't supported here.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
        X