• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Development laptop - bang per buck

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    Stay away from OCZ. Reliability is really bad, but they are dead cheap. I lost a complete laptop worth of stuff. Yes I backed it up, but the replacing the drive, rebuilding the O/S then the re-setting up of everything is not fun.
    Yes, I have heard not so great things about them as well. I would either go for Samsung 840 PRO or Intel 520..
    I am Brad. I do more than the needful and drive the market rates up by not bobbing my head.

Comment

I am sure you already know this, but SaveOnLaptops are giving a free slip case for the 15.6" laptop with offer code "slip"

Luxury Neoprene Slip Case 15.6" Reversible sleeve [BLACK/RED], FCLSL15BKRE

If you do not mind Ivy Bridge instead of Haswell:

Samsung 350V5C 15.6-inch Laptop (Silver) - (Intel Core i7 3630QM 2.4GHz Processor, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, DVDSM DL, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
      I am Brad. I do more than the needful and drive the market rates up by not bobbing my head.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Hi all,

Looking for another laptop for dev work. Mostly data mining/analysis services/predictive analytics stuff.

So memory and CPU number crunching power is the only thing I'm interested in.

Best I can find so far is this:

I7 Quad Core (Haswell) with 16GB DDR3

MSI CX61, CX61 2OD-011UK, MSI CX61 Haswell

£749 inc VAT

Anyone know of something more powerful for similar money?
        Dumb question of the day: Have you thought of running up an AWS image to handle this?

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
          Dell Factory Outlet

Dell outlet xps15-l521x

£574 + VAT for an i7 with 8GB DDR3
          upgrading the Ram will cost you about £100
          change the hard drive for an SSD whilst you're at it

You can also change the mSATA SSD for a larger capactity drive then operate them independently

Swap out the DVD drive for another SSD if you feel extra special

Has the added advantage of not looking like a cheap Chinese knock off

There have been complaints of over heating, personally I've not had any issue with it. Even extended even gaming sessions have been unimpaired by excess heat.
          WSCS

I have one of those too, great bit of kit.
          Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

That one's cheap because the screen is only 1366x768
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

If you're going for a laptop for dev usage, I'd second the replacing of the HDD for an SSD and would also suggest looking at something like this:

HP EliteBook 8460p

They're very strong, come with a full HP 3 year warranty and replacing bits (memory/hdd etc) is an absolute doddle.

Another nice touch is that they support AMD Eyefinity which means you can hook up multiple external monitors without having to invest in additional graphics cards. Quite handy for a full blown dev rig where you perhaps want your IDE on one screen and your application(s) on the other(s).

Comment

eBuyer has a 960GB SSD for £450 this week.
                Last edited by TheFaQQer; 26 July 2013, 12:16.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  eBuyer has a 960Gb SSD for £450 this week.
                  FTFY
                  Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
                    FTFY
                    That's what I said
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                      That's what I said
                      Eventually!!

Comment

Working...
                      X