• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Development laptop - bang per buck"

Collapse

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    That's what I said
    Eventually!!

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    FTFY
    That's what I said

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    eBuyer has a 960Gb SSD for £450 this week.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    eBuyer has a 960GB SSD for £450 this week.
    Last edited by TheFaQQer; 26 July 2013, 12:16.

Leave a comment:

• BHicks
    replied
    If you're going for a laptop for dev usage, I'd second the replacing of the HDD for an SSD and would also suggest looking at something like this:

HP EliteBook 8460p

They're very strong, come with a full HP 3 year warranty and replacing bits (memory/hdd etc) is an absolute doddle.

Another nice touch is that they support AMD Eyefinity which means you can hook up multiple external monitors without having to invest in additional graphics cards. Quite handy for a full blown dev rig where you perhaps want your IDE on one screen and your application(s) on the other(s).

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    That one's cheap because the screen is only 1366x768

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Dell Factory Outlet

Dell outlet xps15-l521x

£574 + VAT for an i7 with 8GB DDR3
    upgrading the Ram will cost you about £100
    change the hard drive for an SSD whilst you're at it

You can also change the mSATA SSD for a larger capactity drive then operate them independently

Swap out the DVD drive for another SSD if you feel extra special

Has the added advantage of not looking like a cheap Chinese knock off

There have been complaints of over heating, personally I've not had any issue with it. Even extended even gaming sessions have been unimpaired by excess heat.
    WSCS

I have one of those too, great bit of kit.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Hi all,

Looking for another laptop for dev work. Mostly data mining/analysis services/predictive analytics stuff.

So memory and CPU number crunching power is the only thing I'm interested in.

Best I can find so far is this:

I7 Quad Core (Haswell) with 16GB DDR3

MSI CX61, CX61 2OD-011UK, MSI CX61 Haswell

£749 inc VAT

Anyone know of something more powerful for similar money?
    Dumb question of the day: Have you thought of running up an AWS image to handle this?

Leave a comment:

• tranceporter
    replied
    I am sure you already know this, but SaveOnLaptops are giving a free slip case for the 15.6" laptop with offer code "slip"

Luxury Neoprene Slip Case 15.6" Reversible sleeve [BLACK/RED], FCLSL15BKRE

If you do not mind Ivy Bridge instead of Haswell:

Samsung 350V5C 15.6-inch Laptop (Silver) - (Intel Core i7 3630QM 2.4GHz Processor, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, DVDSM DL, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Leave a comment:

• tranceporter
    replied
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    Stay away from OCZ. Reliability is really bad, but they are dead cheap. I lost a complete laptop worth of stuff. Yes I backed it up, but the replacing the drive, rebuilding the O/S then the re-setting up of everything is not fun.
    Yes, I have heard not so great things about them as well. I would either go for Samsung 840 PRO or Intel 520..

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by tranceporter View Post
    Will check later for some deals, but one thing I would do is to buy the laptop with a strong CPU, but low RAM and HDD. If it saves you good £££'s, then you can always plug in latest ram + SSD at your own expense, which usually proves cheaper.
    Surely the priority is best in class none replaceable parts (so screen, cpu, gpu) and then buy the replaceable parts separately.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by yasockie View Post
    I am guessing that you want to develop on the go - in a train etc.
    Something I've been fiddling with - wanting more power is tiny PCs like this one:
    Gigabyte BRIX
    It can pack the latest DESKTOP Haswell i7 with much higher clockspeed than
    You only pay for the components you're after and not the battery, LCD screen etc...
    Handy on the train. You just need to add the power supply, monitor, keyboard and mouse....

Leave a comment:

• yasockie
    replied
    I am guessing that you want to develop on the go - in a train etc.
    Something I've been fiddling with - wanting more power is tiny PCs like this one:
    Gigabyte BRIX
    It can pack the latest DESKTOP Haswell i7 with much higher clockspeed than
    You only pay for the components you're after and not the battery, LCD screen etc...

Leave a comment:

• tranceporter
    replied
    Hi all,

Looking for another laptop for dev work. Mostly data mining/analysis services/predictive analytics stuff.

£749 inc VAT

Will check later for some deals, but one thing I would do is to buy the laptop with a strong CPU, but low RAM and HDD. If it saves you good £££'s, then you can always plug in latest ram + SSD at your own expense, which usually proves cheaper.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Hi all,

£749 inc VAT

Dell Factory Outlet

Dell outlet xps15-l521x

£574 + VAT for an i7 with 8GB DDR3
    upgrading the Ram will cost you about £100
    change the hard drive for an SSD whilst you're at it

You can also change the mSATA SSD for a larger capactity drive then operate them independently

Swap out the DVD drive for another SSD if you feel extra special

Has the added advantage of not looking like a cheap Chinese knock off

There have been complaints of over heating, personally I've not had any issue with it. Even extended even gaming sessions have been unimpaired by excess heat.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X