• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Microsoft announces the end of TechNet subscriptions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Microsoft announces the end of TechNet subscriptions

TechNet Subscriptions and Licensing

Need to check when mine runs out and download EVERYTHING before then.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

I only just got mine - a freebie - and hadn't registered it until I got this email and made damn sure I did!

Although I was sad to see Technet doesn't include developer tools which was the main thing I was after.

Does this mean ActionPack is the only low-cost option? The email seemed to be saying everyone was moving to free evaluations so does this mean they're just going to give everything away?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Although I was sad to see Technet doesn't include developer tools which was the main thing I was after.
      Get MSDN ?

Comment

Good riddance I say. Back in the old days when you couldn't download the ISOs it was a great way to keep up to date (remember the solid plastic white CD/DVD boxes?), but lately it has just been a pain of a subscription model when you're trying to sort a project out. Things I hate about TechNet:
        • No production use at all. Its just evaluation with never ending keys. You're not even supposed to run it on your own PC if you're conducting your business on it.
        • Can't be used for software development, software test, training or support environments. If its not eval, its not allowed.
        • Everyone working on the upgrade or evaluation project needs a separate TechNet subscription to use the systems running Technet licensed software, even just to install it. If you can get away with the free downloadable 90-180 day evals, why bother?
        • I keep meeting fools who think they 'own' the software, and think they can legally sell activations for profit.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          TechNet Subscriptions and Licensing

Need to check when mine runs out and download EVERYTHING before then.
          Probably means that I need to empty my bizspark account with all of the Visual Studio keys et al.
          I am Brad. I do more than the needful and drive the market rates up by not bobbing my head.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
            Get MSDN ?
            Too pricey.

Maybe it's back to Action Pack, whatever the developer edition is called these days. Although for C++ use I could probably get away with the Express versions... it's a toss-up whether MAPS would work out cheaper than buying licenses for Windows & Office & VS which is all I'd use.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
            X