• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VPL

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VPL

Anyone got any experience with Visual Programming Languages?

I was thinking about them this morning and wondering why they haven't become more prevalent, they would provide a much easier path into programming for most people and there is no reason why robust code cannot be generated with them.
    Coffee's for closers

thought the thread was about

Urban Dictionary: VPL

then realised it was Technical.

Tried Scratch then decided I liked to be closer the metal.

I think things like SSIS with its wizards and drag & drop are great for starting with but sooner or later you need to remove the hood.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      thought the thread was about

Urban Dictionary: VPL

then realised it was Technical.
      Oh I was going to explain the ways you can avoid it.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Oh I was going to explain the ways you can avoid it.
        Don't wear any?

I've been using Visual C++ for years. It's all "visual" you see, and the wizards generate the code for you. At least that's what people used to say in 1995.

I think like all the different over-hyped things that promised to make programming easier over the years, VPLs have never caught on because in reality, the complexity of software has increased so much you still need an expert / code monkey to do it by hand. Fortunately.

But I have written a few things that could be said to be visual programming. Drag and drop if/else logic with variables thrown in, that sort of thing.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
        X