• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Different email addresses not receiving mail from one sender, why?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Different email addresses not receiving mail from one sender, why?

Have encountered a very strange situation reqarding emails sent from one sender not being received by my different addresses. I suspect a reason but would like the panel's considered opinion. Situation is as follows;

Sent mail with query via a web form, also included email address 1. Some hours later, received an automated response to my nominated email address. This email specified the sender's personal mail address and said further info would be sent by the end of the next working day.

I received no further communication within the specified time so sent another email to the specified email address.

After another 48 hours, still no response so phoned the person. They said a responses had been sent to both my mails within a few hours of receipt by them. After checking all my spam folder and blocked list, I asked them to send again and to CC to another email within the same domain address.

They confirmed this would be done immediately. Despite continuous re polling of my mail servers, no mail has been received. Last night, I mailed them again and asked they resend the mail to a gmail.com account.

As of a few moments ago (10.00am today), there's nothing in the gmail account and I've check the spam folder etc.

So, I cant fathom how an automated response was sent successfully by the sender but, two separate replies to the same address have not been received by me. I dont see how any mail sent to both my specified mail addresses havent been received and, I certainly dont see why nothing has been received by gmail.com which is a totally different domain to the other addresses.

Something very strange is going on. Is there any technical reason why the sender's mail server has been able to send one mail to me successfully but, subsequent mails to requested addresses (original, 2nd and separate gmail account) have not.

All email addresses have subsequently received mail from other senders no problem so, its not my mail servers.

The cynic in me says the sender is talking bulltulip and they havent sent any mail to any email address except the automated response. But, I'd like to know if there's any tech reason before going in all guns blazing and telling them they're a bunch of lieing twats.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    The cynic in me says the sender is talking bulltulip and they havent sent any mail to any email address except the automated response. But, I'd like to know if there's any tech reason before going in all guns blazing and telling them they're a bunch of lieing twats.
    Automated response will come from the web server which probably uses a different email server than their machines. Its perfectly possible that their own personal email server isn't working and they haven't noticed. I don't think thats likely however so I'd go for your last suggestion.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Ta muchly.
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Are all your addresses gmail (or derivations thereof?)

I had an issue a couple of years back, where I stopped receiving email from one of my friends. His ISP had somehow been blacklisted by gmail, and the mail didn't even reach my spam folders. About 10 days later he got 'delivery failure' messages, but there was nothing at the time.

Comment

Working...
        X