• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

outdoor webcam

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

outdoor webcam

Any audio/visual gurus on board?

Looking for opinions on some kind of camera system for my Dad to put on an outbuilding pointing towards their garden aka fsck-off gurt field.

There is power in the building so and I'm researching something like a waterproof wireless webcam with nightvision capabilites. Possibly pan, tilt and zoom as well but not a deal-breaker. Would rather have a better picture with less functionality than a mediocre picture with loads of bells and whistles. Am budgeting quite a few hundred quid for hardware, perhaps more for a really good system but ideally shouldn't end up the cost of a small African state!

Wanting to get some good night shots of the badger (of the animal variety, not the local nightclub stink-badger!) and deer that visit during the night. May also use it to point into next doors dining room.

Also looking to do some kind of time-lapse still montage over day, month, year etc. so ability to automatically grab static pics out of a continuous video feed would be nice.

Wireless comms to backend from proposed location is very good and open to both Windows or linux technologies for processing.

Currently investigating a few platforms myself but any pointers to current technology and other people's experiences gratefully received.

Cheers

M

a discussion about a related topic is here. its more aimed at home security cctv, but they do discuss outdoor cctv cameras.
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

start of the discussion is here
      The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Ooh thanks very much chef. Off to read now (and hide before I get a link to the NLUK search engine!!)

Appreciate that - thank you very muchly!

Comment

This lot are probably more informed than CUKers:

CCTV Forums - Powered by vBulletin
          Neighbours From Hell in Britain
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

xoggoth, thanks for that. I think the version of google supplied in these parts must be broken - remember seeing the second link but first site completely evaded me!
            I feel sorry for anybody who has to put up with neighbours from hell - its just not pleasant at all. Thankfully is "nieghbours from the hedge" he's interested in but checking out sites now.

Comment

Originally posted by monkfish View Post
              Any audio/visual gurus on board?

Looking for opinions on some kind of camera system for my Dad to put on an outbuilding pointing towards their garden aka fsck-off gurt field.

There is power in the building so and I'm researching something like a waterproof wireless webcam with nightvision capabilites. Possibly pan, tilt and zoom as well but not a deal-breaker. Would rather have a better picture with less functionality than a mediocre picture with loads of bells and whistles. Am budgeting quite a few hundred quid for hardware, perhaps more for a really good system but ideally shouldn't end up the cost of a small African state!

Wanting to get some good night shots of the badger (of the animal variety, not the local nightclub stink-badger!) and deer that visit during the night. May also use it to point into next doors dining room.

Also looking to do some kind of time-lapse still montage over day, month, year etc. so ability to automatically grab static pics out of a continuous video feed would be nice.

Wireless comms to backend from proposed location is very good and open to both Windows or linux technologies for processing.

Currently investigating a few platforms myself but any pointers to current technology and other people's experiences gratefully received.

Cheers

M
              Sent you a PM.

Pretty sure the cameras I have can be setup to trigger only on motion detection.

Not ideal if you have lots of trees or things that move in the wind.
              Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Scrag meister - appreciate your time and the insight.

Thank you to all who posted - I am very grateful indeed.

monk

Comment

Working...
                X