• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Silverlight/WPF or HTML 5?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silverlight/WPF or HTML 5?

It seems like a few organisations are starting to drop SL for HTML5. Anyone any links to discussions regarding the future of SL? I noticed Windows were bigging up HTML 5 the other day, which seemed at odds with their business.

HTML5 + js simply because everyone else is doing it, including Adobe (instead of FLash)

Comment

Silverlight was killed 3 years ago. I thought you had seen the announcement and the discussion here on it.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/techn...lverlight.html
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

No, I got that years ago it was going to be killed off, but it hasn't. If you look at Windows 8, it's all WPF and all. But still they make these statements. Currently SL5 and SL to be supported until 'at least 2021'.

It all seems like they're constantly contradicting themselves.

Comment

Yeah - we have done some SL development - it does produce some nice UI's etc and according to our dev team some of the tools/methods are quite good.

However we have our next major development will be using HTML5.

So there you go.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
            No, I got that years ago it was going to be killed off, but it hasn't. If you look at Windows 8, it's all WPF and all. But still they make these statements. Currently SL5 and SL to be supported until 'at least 2021'.

It all seems like they're constantly contradicting themselves.
            vb6 is still supported. You couldn't however purchase a licence from 2003 and IDE support disappeared in 2008. Support doesn't mean develop with it it means microsoft will grudgingly try and support existing systems until then.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I was doing a Google search on WPF or HTML5 and this thread came up.

Anyway, when deciding technologies, always use the JobServe decision support system figure out what's hot and what's not.

WPF looks like it's in decline to me, HTML5 and JS are capable of supporting applications on any platform. Look at what MS has done with Winforms (dropped but supported), Silverlight (dropped but supported) and I think I'd be looking towards HTML 5 + JS framework.

Can you put your WPF apps on iOS, OS X, Android etc?

Anyway, this is from the former WPF project manager

RIAGENIC.com | The Unofficial Windows 8 Developer FAQ

Basically, Microsoft is a confused, fragmented, frightened mess.
              Last edited by DimPrawn; 29 July 2013, 20:17.

Comment

Another very useful article on the subject

HTML5, JavaScript, Knockout, JQuery, Guide for Recovering Silverlight/WPF/C# Addicts. Part 1 - JavaScript and DOM. - CodeProject

Comment

I seem to recall someone caught sight a Microsoft internal product development roadmap last year and Silverlight was missing from it.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed View Post
                    I seem to recall someone caught sight a Microsoft internal product development roadmap last year and Silverlight was missing from it.
                    It's pretty much done deal for at least 6-9 months now - been public for a while.

There are question marks over whole .NET thingy now - historically Microsoft was very good with developers, but the best you can expect to get from them now is something like this -

Comment

Working...
                    X