• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which XML editor?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which XML editor?

I may take the plunge and purchase either xml spy or oxygen. Anyone using either / both of these have any useful opinions / things to think about?

I'm mostly dealing with fairly complex XML schemas, creating example instance documents from them and writing / debugging XSLT.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    I may take the plunge and purchase either xml spy or oxygen. Anyone using either / both of these have any useful opinions / things to think about?

I'm mostly dealing with fairly complex XML schemas, creating example instance documents from them and writing / debugging XSLT.
    XML Spy seemed to be the choice at my last place, not used it myself but heard nothing but good things
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

XML Editor/Viewer Online - xmlGrid.net

and

http://www.editix.com/

are both free

I was looking this time last year for a decent free one and there was nothing, seems like a lot has happened since then.

XMLSpy and the other commercial offerings weren't exactly value for money for what I wanted them for
      Last edited by Spacecadet; 9 May 2013, 07:47.
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

I've always been a fan of XML Spy and it's the only thing I have really used for XML and XSLT but I do love the product and have nothing but praise for it.

Mind you editix that Spacecadet mentioned looks quite decent
        In Scooter we trust

Comment

I've used Oxygen a lot for debugging XSLT, and it's excellent. This was back 2005-7 (when, although I did a lot of general front-end stuff too, I was officially denoted in the contract as "XSLT Consultant" ), and it's improved even more; but so have the alternatives. I'd probably go back to it if I was doing a lot of really heavy-duty XSLT again, though.

Comment

I'm pretty happy with Xml spy, used it at various clients and seems the best out there last time I did research. At a push I've managed to get by with Visual Studio but not as comprehensive as Xml spy.

Comment

XML Spy is excellent for schema work.

Comment

edlin

The most carbon neutral editor available.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  XML Spy is excellent for schema work.
                  Having downloaded the evaluation versions of XMLSpy and Oxygen I am finding that XMLSpy is indeed excellent for working with schemas, which is how I remember it. When it comes to creating example instance documents it seems to be a pretty nasty experience though. At the moment I think I prefer the eclipse tools I was using before.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                  X