• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sharepoint as webserver

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharepoint as webserver

I have some software that produces a .htm and .js file that go together. We have a user who's uploading it to Sharepoint, but he says even with both files in the same folder in Sharepoint, "it doesn't work" - I'm working on finding some more details but he's a non-techy.

I know nothing about Sharepoint. Does it work like a normal webserver in that regard? I wonder if it's doing crazy like treating the .htm as an individual file and downloading it into a temp folder.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

sharepoint takes over the IIS undercarraige, it will handle any request for the file as if its a file in a list.

You can use a web part to display html type info and edit online (web content web part) if that's what he is trying to do then that would be easiest.

unless you upload without using sharepoint into some of the sub folders - not a good idea.

For no sharepoint subsites you can configure sharepoint to ignore some directories & urls in its hierarchy but once you do that you lose the sharepoint functionality so need to enable something like ftp / webdav. then you have a vanilla IIS server on that url. we did this to add some non sharepoint apps in our sharepoint hierarchy.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

The problem turned out to be Sharepoint serving its content in IE compatibility mode - which I guess is common in the corporate world of hopelessly out of date HTML. As this was pure HTML5 content, it fell over in a heap of script errors on load. Turn off the option and it works.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
      X