• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Call iFrame from AS400

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Call iFrame from AS400

I have an AS400 sales order application that it is presented to users via a PC5250 emulatior running on a Windows XP desktop.

I need to integrate that solution with an iFrame hosted by a third party and pass data in out of the URL via XML.

Is there any way we can do this, including with the use of WebSphere? Or are we limited to WebService / API calls only from the AS400 itself?

I'm not sure I understand the question. The lack of responses from anybody else suggests I'm not alone.

If I understand you correctly, there is a URL (Uniform Resource Locator) which denotes a resource that allows content to be retrieved and to which data can be submitted (presumably for the purpose of modifying the content located at the resource, or modifying the subset of the content returned) as XML. Your requirement is to integrate this with an application that is accessed via a terminal emulator.

A URL simply denotes a resource that can be accessed by the appropriate protocol, which I assume to be HTTP. If the terminal emulator is capable of performing HTTP requests, and processing the responses to such requests so as to integrate them with the emulator's usual activity, then that would be the way to do "this".

If, as I strongly suspect, such feats are beyond the capabilities reasonably to be expected of the emulator (if only because it seems that this would involve embedding an awful lot of business logic on the client in a way that would make it ludicrously hard to keep the server informed of what the client state was) then I would suggest making the necessary HTTP interactions on the AS400.

If, however, I haven't properly understood the question then please clarify in light of what I've said and I'll try and think of something

Comment

Thanks Nick

I'll look into what we can code in the terminal emulator and what the options might be there, i hadnt actually realized that was possible

If we do have to generate XML and make a HTTPS call from the As400 side what's the best way to do this? Does AS400/RPG support this natively or could we write something using ILE on the iSeries (i.e. a C++ module) and call that

Comment

Thanks Nick

I hadn't considered triyng to use the terminal emulator. Its the iSeries access for Windows app, can that be used to call say a COM object and pass/return parameters from the underlying green screens?

Comment

Originally posted by pnearn View Post
          Thanks Nick

I hadn't considered triyng to use the terminal emulator. Its the iSeries access for Windows app, can that be used to call say a COM object and pass/return parameters from the underlying green screens?
          Looking at the documentation I can find online for it, it seems to offer a quite extensive set of APIs for plugin development and so forth, but whether or not that's a sensible route to follow will depend primarily on your requirements.

Comment

Working...
          X