• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Excel problem

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excel problem

I have list of email addresses but want to filter just those ending with .uk. Any ideas?
    Me, me, me...

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    I have list of email addresses but want to filter just those ending with .uk. Any ideas?
    Lots, thanks.

I assume you've used custom fileters and/or compound commands using the lookup functions and/or Indirect commands. But it rather depends what you're trying to do, doesn't it? If you could work up the time and energy to explain the problem, it may be possible to come up with an answer.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Thanks for the help Mal

I am no excel guru and most of the stuff I do is hacky but you could try copying the email column to a new column. Now click on the column to highlight all cells, click the Data tab and choose "Text to Columns" on the ribbon. Choose Delimited and click next, put a tick in "other" and put the @ symbol in, clik Next, click Finish.

This will then give you a new column with the bit after the @, again click on the top of the column to select all the domain name and extensions and click "Text to Columns" again. Delimited should be checked so click Next, now replace the @ with a full stop, click Next click Finish.

Now you will have two new columns, one with the initial part of any double part domain extentions and one with the second. All official UK extensions are double spaced names, .co.uk, .org.uk, .me.uk, .gov.uk etc. You may have the odd .uk.com but they aren't real UK extensions administered by Nominet so depending on what you are doing you might want a second sort to select those or you might not...

Now that you have all the uk extension parts in one column you can sort on that column and just select the UK ones...

Worked for me on a small dataset.

I am sure some smart arse will come along with some code to do it in a sec but that might be enough to get you through for now...
      Last edited by administrator; 28 April 2013, 16:30. Reason: typos

Comment

Does he want a filtered list, or an extract of the original? Repeat operation or one-off? Manual or automated? Source data is pure data or a formula?

A simple extract would be a custom filter (select all records containing ".uk") then cut and paste the resultant list using Paste Special/Values only. That' probably not what we;re looking for though...

Many answers. first you need a problem statement.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          Does he want a filtered list, or an extract of the original? Repeat operation or one-off? Manual or automated? Source data is pure data or a formula?

A simple extract would be a custom filter (select all records containing ".uk") then cut and paste the resultant list using Paste Special/Values only. That' probably not what we;re looking for though...

Many answers. first you need a problem statement.
          I think you are being too demanding in your requirement seeking. The requirement is in the OP.

I have list of email addresses but want to filter just those ending with .uk.
          The solution I have shown leaves the original data in a column and the extra ones can be deleted out once you have sorted your list and extracted the data you want.

Your solution would match anyone with a .uk in the first portion of their addess e.g. [email protected] - so therefore will not be fit for purpose for the task in hand.

Comment

Thanks Admin I'll try that.

Mal, just need to discard any email address that isn't from the UK but finding it difficult to filter / sort. A one off operation, once I have all the UK based addresses I can import them into MySQL.
            Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
              [email protected] - so therefore will not be fit for purpose for the task in hand.
              ...erm you use custom auto filter > ends with
              No need to do paste special either, just filter, highlight and paste

Excel 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Olly View Post

Excel 2010
                Yup, just tried and works a treat. Highlight the column, from the Data tab choose Filter, click the little drop down that appears at the top of the column, select Text Filters, click Ends With and type in UK.

Very nice!

Comment

Copy/paste to flat file named emails.txt

In command line -

find ".uk" emails.txt >ukemails.txt

Copy/paste back to Excel.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Olly View Post

Excel 2010
                    Precisely. Paste Special was only needed if the original data was a formula rather than text.

@cliphead - wasn't trying to be clever, but just wanted to know where you were going before spending too much time on it.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X