• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Maplin powerline+wifi adaptor problem

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

200Mbps PowerLine & N300 Wi-Fi Range Extender - Single Socket : 200Mbps Powerline Adaptors and Kits : Maplin Electronics

Does anyone here have any experience of this model?

One of my Netgear adaptors failed so I thought it would be a good idea to get a replacement with wifi built in so I can extent wifi coverage around the house.

I've plugged it in and the PC connects with a Cat5 cable, all wired connections work flawlessly over the mains.

When I connect a wireless device to the adaptor it get's an IP address so it's on the network but I have no internet access on that device?

I know I have effectively got 2 wireless networks but they don't talk to each other.

They are on different IP ranges router 192.168.1.X & 192.168.200.X is that right? I've tried putting them on the same but that doesn't work either? Should I have the same SSID?

I'm getting quite annoyed as the few reviews I've read say "plugged it in and it works straight away"... not for me.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

There is a comment on their forum from someone else having problems...

Maplin Electronics Forum • View topic - 200Mbps PowerLine N300 Wi-fi Range Extender (A09LF).. help!

That help?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Also search for the item on Amazon. I was looking for one the other day and a lot of people have gone in to very indepth instructions on how to get them to work in the reviews which was very helpful. Should be same steps regardless of make of product..

Like this..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-revi...owViewpoints=0

Out of the box, this gives you a second SSID based on your original one, e.g. YourWifi123456. This means that you have to manually switch between networks if you move about the house. *But* you can manually configure the extender's SSID to be the same as the original one, and then switching becomes automatic. I hit some snags on the way to this though...

The "extender123456" web interface didn't work for me. I had to use my router's device list to find the extender's IP address (once hooked up with WPS) and point my browser at that, in order to reach the configuration interface.

Also, after changing the SSID, the configuration interface hung & the SSID seemed to stay the same. I had to turn the extender off and on again for my new SSID to "take".

WPS worked, but as others have said, you do have to wait for the thing to boot up before pressing the button. This takes a minute or two.

Bonus: The description doesn't spell it out, but you can use this as a wireless bridge. Plug your WiFi-less device into the socket on the side of the extender and you have wired internet via your WiFi network.
      Can't find the really detailed ones but have a search and ye shall find I am sure.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks NLUK, can't see my specific problem though.

I'm struggling to work out how I can connect multiple devices to this unit when at the other end (sky router) it's only using one port and therefore one IP address dished out by the router DHCP?

Is it even possible to have multiple IP's on one router port? My networking knowledge ends here.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Network guy here says turn off DHCP on the adaptor and just use it as a repeater, it will cause more packet traffic but should be more reliable.

Alternatively change the IP range to match and set the gateway to to the same as the router, sure I tried that though?

Why is it that everything I buy with the intention of making my life easier turns out to make life inexorably more complex?

Edit: Found this: http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/doi...less-range/141

It should help anyone with a similar issue, not exactly the same scenario but close enough.
          Last edited by gingerjedi; 16 April 2013, 11:13.

Comment

Somewhere in the menu system on the main router there should be an option to create a WDS and on the other one an option to join a WDS.

Hate to say it but piece of piss on Apple...

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
              Somewhere in the menu system on the main router there should be an option to create a WDS and on the other one an option to join a WDS.

Hate to say it but piece of piss on Apple...
              A wireless extender won't work if there's a wifi deadspot between devices no matter how much you paid for it.

Comment

Working...
              X