• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wordpress under attack

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a number of WP sites all with hardened security. Google Analytics doesn't show unusual traffic. Is this attack still ongoing?
    Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
      I have a number of WP sites all with hardened security. Google Analytics doesn't show unusual traffic. Is this attack still ongoing?
      I believe so. It's a botnet that's crawling all over the web looking for WordPress sites, so if it hasn't visited yet that doesn't mean it won't eventually. At the moment though all it does is try to brute-force the password for the account named "admin", so if your administrator account has a different name it won't get anywhere. Good passwords will keep it out, but the problem is if it thinks there's an account called "admin" (from the message it gets when it's rejected, I assume) it'll keep trying for ages, amounting to a massive DDOS against the site.

Comment

I have WP and have ditched the admin account. I also attribute the posts to another user account which has minimum capabilities.

That seems to have kept my site safe so far.
        McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
        Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          I believe so. It's a botnet that's crawling all over the web looking for WordPress sites, so if it hasn't visited yet that doesn't mean it won't eventually. At the moment though all it does is try to brute-force the password for the account named "admin", so if your administrator account has a different name it won't get anywhere. Good passwords will keep it out, but the problem is if it thinks there's an account called "admin" (from the message it gets when it's rejected, I assume) it'll keep trying for ages, amounting to a massive DDOS against the site.
          I noticed a massive spike on my site around 3 weeks back. Suspect it was this bot. In my case there was a spike of about 400 visits in one day. The usual number is about 150.
          McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
          Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
          X