• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No broadband, places to develop in Manchester?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im having problems with my broadband, could be down for a few days.

Any suggestions for places to develop, i need wi-fi and my laptop has a poor battery so need a power socket.

Do libraries let you in and use their internet? Is it possible to hire a meeting room somewhere for a reasonable price?

thanks for any help

Buy a "3" Dongle

Worked for me when my internet went down for several days.

Very fast.

Even plugs into a Draytek router if you're lucky enough to have one of those.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
      Buy a "3" Dongle

Worked for me when my internet went down for several days.

Very fast.

Even plugs into a Draytek router if you're lucky enough to have one of those.
      It's a good idea but I've had a dongle in the past and the speed just isn't good enough (in my area). I've got a 4g phone and I'm getting an ok speed but not good enough to work with.

Comment

Some public libraries yes, or maybe check into a Holiday Inn or similar. Most larger hotels will have wifi. Some smaller ones/B&Bs too.

PS Or just wander around the street with your laptop until you find some idiot with unsecured wifi, plenty of em. Although sitting on a pavement is probably not best dev environment.
        PPS The 3 dongles are good, maybe better than your previous, how long ago was that? Can't believe anywhere in Manchester has worse signal than our rural area.
        Last edited by xoggoth; 9 April 2013, 09:34.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          Some public libraries yes, or maybe check into a Holiday Inn or similar. Most larger hotels will have wifi. Some smaller ones/B&Bs too.

PS Or just wander around the street with your laptop until you find some idiot with unsecured wifi, plenty of em. Although sitting on a pavement is probably not best dev environment.
          PPS The 3 dongles are good, maybe better than your previous, how long ago was that? Can't believe anywhere in Manchester has worse signal than our rural area.
          Only some public libraries have wi-fi with a max 2 hour limit - non too near to Altrincham. Local touchbase has closed.

It looks like the entire town is affected, I was going to bother the neighbours (more than usual).

It was a while ago I had a dongle but I can't imagine it would be any faster than my fancy 4g, bells and whistle phone - which if im honest is enabling me to just about get by.

Looked at renting a desk for a month, 275 all in, parking not included. May end up doing that, last time we had phone problems for weeks. Really surprised there isn't anywhere a contractor can just rock up and hire a desk for a month/week whatever for a reasonable amount.

Comment

Can you create a mobile hotspot on your 4g moby?

Comment

A library will only let you surf for a limited time say an hour or so and AFAIA, you normally have to 'book' your slot. Not sure if they'd be happy to do this if you intend using it in the course of your business though!

An alternative to 3 or Giffgaff (but you'll need to get hold of one of their sims first) is BT WiFi or the Cloud. You can pay so much a day for unlimited BT WiFi access or, if you are on Infinity its free.

The Cloud is less freely available and you'd need to find somewhere where that does have it ie Costa or the like. Although access is free they (Costa) would probably expect you to buy a couple of coffess while on the premises.
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
              X