• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cable from telephone socket to BB modem.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cable from telephone socket to BB modem.

Every modem router I've had has come with those flat grey cable (with an rj45 connector on each end?) that push into the NTE 5 telephone box and the other end into the modem \ router.

Presumably, these are the cheapest option hence why they are given away free. But would using an ethernet type cable with the correct plugs on the end be better?
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

It's not RJ45 - it's something else. RJ11? I forget.

Not sure what you get with FTTC.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

For most people I can't see it making much difference, if you phone line is like mine there's 4km's of badly jointed copper and aluminium between the exchange and your house so a few meters of premium cable won't make a difference.

When I had a poor line in my desperation to improve things I bought a shielded cable, it was still crap but was fixed a few months later when I struck lucky and had a visit (4th) from a BT engineer who did give a tulip by fixing the crumbling joint 100m down the road.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        It's not RJ45 - it's something else. RJ11? I forget.

Not sure what you get with FTTC.
        Yes, I think RJ11 is more likely.

When BT provide the modem and home hub 3 (for Infinity) you get a couple of LAN cables (about 4 foot long) and a short phone socket to modem cable. The engineer asked for my old one and the thing was only 4 foot away! (I've since mounted the modem to the wall by the socket so 18 inches is enough now!).

I was expecting a better cable from phone socket to modem but, clearly BT are scrimping.

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
        For most people I can't see it making much difference, if you phone line is like mine there's 4km's of badly jointed copper and aluminium between the exchange and your house so a few meters of premium cable won't make a difference.
        If you home is 4km from the exchange BT say Infinity wont deliver a significant increase in speed although the reality is, it is the length of copper twin from local cabinet to home that determines you DL speed.

Fortunately Im only 600 metres from my cabinet.

When I had a poor line in my desperation to improve things I bought a shielded cable, it was still crap but was fixed a few months later when I struck lucky and had a visit (4th) from a BT engineer who did give a tulip by fixing the crumbling joint 100m down the road.
        I'd been plagued by frequent disconnects on adsl and despite frequent calls to my provider, they continually said BT could find no problem. So, when fibre came along I took the opportunity to have BB and phone via one provider.

Surprise, surprise, I got a disconnect on Saturday. Reported the fault and today an engineer spend over 4 hours before finding a problem in the exchange. Hopefully now fixed and no more interruption to tinterweb.
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
        X