• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dual band alternative Infinity 2 router suggestions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone suggest some good dual band wireless routers compatible with BT Infinity?

The supplied Home Hub 3 is utter tulipe. It only operates on 2.4ghz, drops linked wireless channels after about 5 minutes and shows previous connected devices when refreshed!

I was considering the Draytek 2750 but while it has both 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands, you can only select one and it doesnt operate simultaneously. Anyone using a Netgear (I know!) WNDR3700, 3800 or 4000?
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

The home hub is total pants isn't it!

I swapped mine for an Apple AirPort Extreme, dual band does both at same time, been rock solid.

Yes I am a fanboi!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      The home hub is total pants isn't it!

I swapped mine for an Apple AirPort Extreme, dual band does both at same time, been rock solid.

Yes I am a fanboi!
      Utter pants doesnt do it justice imho! I read in the BT Forum the 'tech' people say its not very good with multiple wireless connections! Er hello, isnt that a basic requirement for a wireless router?

And they say it doesnt often connect at 300mbps and is happy with 150!

I take it the Apple AirPort is only for Apple devices or does it work for other operating systems and devices?
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
        Utter pants doesnt do it justice imho! I read in the BT Forum the 'tech' people say its not very good with multiple wireless connections! Er hello, isnt that a basic requirement for a wireless router?

I take it the Apple AirPort is only for Apple devices or does it work for other operating systems and devices?
        No, anything! Has four Gig lan ports too, and a fantastic green LED on the front!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post

I had all my boxes etc, servers and shiite in the 10.x.x.x range - it's my favourite but the HH forced me to use 192 or 172, 10 is for that BT FON thing, so I had to change all my boxes!

Then I ditched it so can use 10 address but can't be arsed now, even now I still type ssh stek@10.^H^H^H192.168......

Comment

Is the apple one only configurable with the utility installed on a PC/mac?

I need a new router/modem and use dynDNS, this does not seem to work unless you use an old version of the utility.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
              Is the apple one only configurable with the utility installed on a PC/mac?

I need a new router/modem and use dynDNS, this does not seem to work unless you use an old version of the utility.
              Apple one is very poor re dyndns, it's possible but a right frig.

What do u use dyndns for? Just dynamic to host mapping?

Comment

Just to get a fix on the router when away from the house. IP changes every second day. If it offers another mechanism then I'm good to go with that.

Desperately need a new router due to wi fi signal, wife nags me no end as she can't get a signal for her mac on her side of the bed.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                  Just to get a fix on the router when away from the house. IP changes every second day. If it offers another mechanism then I'm good to go with that.

Desperately need a new router due to wi fi signal, wife nags me no end as she can't get a signal for her mac on her side of the bed.
                  In that case just the single updater running on a mac or PC in the house will keep Dyndns happy. Just if your doing loads of hosts to one ip can get messy!

It's all I use it for - running on my iMac is the Dyndns updater, notifies them of of any ip changes - to be honest hardly happens now - get the same ip for months. When BT fibre was 'training' it used to change all the time.

Comment

The virgin media superhub is Netgear CG3101D. Has dual band mode, and you can operate at only one frequency at a time. I am currently using 2.4ghz. I can get wifi signal throughout the house and even 10 feet outside, and speeds range up to 6.5MB (over 50mbps) which is not bad for 2.4Ghz.
                    I am Brad. I do more than the needful and drive the market rates up by not bobbing my head.

Comment

Working...
                    X