• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VMware vSphere Hypervisor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to run VMWare on a server, so I can create two or three virtual machines, does anyone use the free offering from VMWare? Not thinking anything special, bog standard server with maybe 8 or 16gb ram, a couple of NIC's and a few Raided HDD's. I assume its gonna be better to have one drive for the ESXi install and a minimum of two for VM's?
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    I want to run VMWare on a server, so I can create two or three virtual machines, does anyone use the free offering from VMWare? Not thinking anything special, bog standard server with maybe 8 or 16gb ram, a couple of NIC's and a few Raided HDD's. I assume its gonna be better to have one drive for the ESXi install and a minimum of two for VM's?
    My main machine is an ESXi machine nowadays (i7, 16gb ram large, large box). The main purposes is to run various windows versions alongside an unraid server.

Main spec is :-
    Use a usb key for the ESXi install (cheap replaceable).

Two ssds for the windows VMs with a separate usb key for Unraid. That then uses M1015s in passthrough mode for the unraid file server (16 disks 30tb of data).
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      My main machine is an ESXi machine nowadays (i7, 16gb ram large, large box). The main purposes is to run various windows versions alongside an unraid server.

Main spec is :-
      Use a usb key for the ESXi install (cheap replaceable).

Two ssds for the windows VMs with a separate usb key for Unraid. That then uses M1015s in passthrough mode for the unraid file server (16 disks 30tb of data).
      Never thought of using a USB key!

Quick question, do you have the Hypervisor (IE freebie) version? If so is it still the case you can't use the Web Client, and thus forced to use the legacy vSphere client which doesn't have a MAC version

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Never thought of using a USB key!

Quick question, do you have the Hypervisor (IE freebie) version? If so is it still the case you can't use the Web Client, and thus forced to use the legacy vSphere client which doesn't have a MAC version
        Yes max is 1cpu and 32gb from memory so make sure you pick the right i7.

That's what parallels is for or if you're a cheapstake virtualbox.

I'll dig up the order and tell you what I bought.

Comment

order was

Asrock ASR-Z77-PRO4-M
          Intel BX80637I73770 - Intel Core i7 (3770) 3.4GHz Quad Core
          Processor 8MB L3 Cache 5GT/s Bus Speed (Boxed)
          2x Corsair CMV16GX3M2A1600C11 - Corsair Value Select 16GB
          (2 x 8GB) Memory Kit 1600MHz DDR3 240pin DIMM Non-ECC)

The motherboard is important many don't give you everything you need. From memory this one just worked.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            Yes max is 1cpu and 32gb from memory so make sure you pick the right i7.

That's what parallels is for or if you're a cheapstake virtualbox.

I'll dig up the order and tell you what I bought.
            You mean you are using a paid version of ESX, or you are running a Windows VM on your Mac to access the vSphere Client (which is what i am doing)

Comment

You mean you are using a paid version of ESX, or you are running a Windows VM on your Mac to access the vSphere Client (which is what i am doing)
              You need the Vcenter server 5.1 thing, not free as far as I know and it's a total kludge for mac access, google around for all the faffing needed to frig it to work.

Or put Oracle OVS on it though that's not much better but it is free. Web based interface so will work on a Mac.

Comment

windows vm on mac to access the client. (heck you only use it once in a while when changing machines around).

Comment

VMWare ESXi is awesome, free one is fine for running "throw away" virtual machines.

I've got 2 x HP DL585s (4x Quad Core Opteron, 64Gb RAM) + 16 Bay Fibre Array with 4 x 2Tb disks in...all in a nice Dell 24U Rack

GE

Comment

It's also worth noting that Microsoft have now released a free hyper-v 2012 version to compete with VMware.

Getting Started with the FREE Hyper-V Server 2012 #hyperv #virtualization #itpro - IT Pros ROCK! at Microsoft - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

Comment

Working...
                    X