• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Website file permissions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Website file permissions

I have two different hosts, 123Reg says:

We recommend that for directories, you set the permissions to 0711 (user read-write-execute, group and world execute) or 0755 if you are allowing directory indexes (user read-write-execute, group and world read and execute). For CGI scripts themselves, we recommend permissions of 0755 (user read-write-execute, group and world read and execute).It is very important that these permissions are set correctly, or the CGI scripts will not execute.

Hostpapa says:

It is generally good practice to ensure permissions are set to 555 (all read and execute) for directories and 444 (all read) for files, unless a specific program requires them to be set to something different. Avoid using very open permissions such as 777, 755, 666 or 644.

Bit of a difference there, any ideas which is best practice for a) Public HTML and b) PHP scripts. Cheers.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

For security any file or directory which you don't explicitly need to write to should only ever have read-execute or for static HTML pages just read should be sufficient.

Allowing write access to a folder or file is a security risk as a hacker could use this to upload malicious files to your server and then execute them by browsing to the location.

On that basis I'd say 123reg's advice is a little concerning and perhaps has been issued to stop them getting lots of support requests for cases where write access is actually needed.

Comment

Cheers willap! Think I'll tighten up a bit.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

AFAIK stuff in the cgi-bin directory should be executable, i.e. anything that is executed as part of a form submit. But your average php web page (mix of html and php) doesn't need execute permission.

Comment

Working...
        X