• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Calendar sync - iPod, Outlook, Google

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ThomserveBAS View Post
    ...both of which are "pull" rather than "push" right? @Google:

(glad I'm already "in" the club )
    Not as far as I'm aware, I thought they were push and pull.

Comment

Pretty sure all "DAV" formats are pull (i.e. you call up the service rather than the service pushing updates to you as they happen a-la ActiveSync/whatever Blackberry's version is called).

Comment

Pretty sure all "DAV" formats are pull (i.e. you call up the service rather than the service pushing updates to you as they happen a-la ActiveSync/whatever Blackberry's version is called).
        Hmmm maybe, harder to test that with calendar and contacts than it is with email because you can't tell whether they've been pushed or not until you open the app, at which point it may be pulling them anyway. I might test it with an alarm and see if it goes off on my phone without opening the calendar app.

Comment

I think we're into semantics now but that'd still be pull (your phone would poll for updates every x minutes/hours) whereas push has the content on your device within seconds of it hitting the server.

Comment

For me push is a must as upping the check frequency to be real time (or as close as you can get) is a battery killer on my iDevices.

Comment

I think we're into semantics now but that'd still be pull (your phone would poll for updates every x minutes/hours) whereas push has the content on your device within seconds of it hitting the server.
              Yeah, I was thinking about setting an alarm to go off in less than a minute from the current time. I doubt the phone pulls more often than every few minutes, possibly more like 10-15 mins so if the alarm was on my phone less than a minute after I'd set it on the web I'd be reasonably sure that had been pushed there.

Comment

Working...
              X