• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Calendar sync - iPod, Outlook, Google"

Collapse

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by ThomserveBAS View Post
    I think we're into semantics now but that'd still be pull (your phone would poll for updates every x minutes/hours) whereas push has the content on your device within seconds of it hitting the server.
    Yeah, I was thinking about setting an alarm to go off in less than a minute from the current time. I doubt the phone pulls more often than every few minutes, possibly more like 10-15 mins so if the alarm was on my phone less than a minute after I'd set it on the web I'd be reasonably sure that had been pushed there.

Leave a comment:

• ThomserveBAS
    replied
    Calendar sync - iPod, Outlook, Google

For me push is a must as upping the check frequency to be real time (or as close as you can get) is a battery killer on my iDevices.

Leave a comment:

• ThomserveBAS
    replied
    Calendar sync - iPod, Outlook, Google

I think we're into semantics now but that'd still be pull (your phone would poll for updates every x minutes/hours) whereas push has the content on your device within seconds of it hitting the server.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Pretty sure all "DAV" formats are pull (i.e. you call up the service rather than the service pushing updates to you as they happen a-la ActiveSync/whatever Blackberry's version is called).
    Hmmm maybe, harder to test that with calendar and contacts than it is with email because you can't tell whether they've been pushed or not until you open the app, at which point it may be pulling them anyway. I might test it with an alarm and see if it goes off on my phone without opening the calendar app.

Leave a comment:

• ThomserveBAS
    replied
    Pretty sure all "DAV" formats are pull (i.e. you call up the service rather than the service pushing updates to you as they happen a-la ActiveSync/whatever Blackberry's version is called).

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    ...both of which are "pull" rather than "push" right? @Google:

(glad I'm already "in" the club )
    Not as far as I'm aware, I thought they were push and pull.

Leave a comment:

• ThomserveBAS
    replied
    ...both of which are "pull" rather than "push" right? @Google:

(glad I'm already "in" the club )

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    I'm guessing those signed up prior to the cut-off date are keeping their service?

What's the alternative (from Google) for those who weren't signed up prior to the end of January?
    I think they're pushing CalDAV for calendar, CardDAV for contacts.

Leave a comment:

• ThomserveBAS
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Alas you are about a week late as Google pulled support for Outlook Sync on 30th January
    I'm guessing those signed up prior to the cut-off date are keeping their service?

What's the alternative (from Google) for those who weren't signed up prior to the end of January?

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    well, Google's Loss will be gSyncIt's gain at the end of the free trial. Everything is in sync now.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Alas you are about a week late as Google pulled support for Outlook Sync on 30th January

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    yes it's looking like the answer is based on that. A helpful YouTube video has got my iPod 2-way syncing with Google calendar. But Outlook's putting up a fight and only letting me use that calendar read-only. Google says I need "Google Apps for Business". Do I want "Google Apps for Business?"

ta,
    tl

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Gmail Calendar

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Actually, going back to a mini filofax like I had before mobile phones had calendars is quite tempting!

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    I've got a Google Nexus 4 phone, an iPod touch, and Outlook with local .pst files. What's my best option for keeping my calendar in sync between all 3?

ta,
    tl
    Post-it's

Leave a comment:

Working...
X