• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cheap Windows 8

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I really like the new ribbon interface for Explorer.
    You also like Vectra cars - I rest my case.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
      It not only looks wrong on a wide screen but when I have a reference manual or tutorial PDF open I usually want a couple more windows open so that I can bash in commands and see results.
      Windows has always been about MULTIPLE Windows.

It's obvious really - going back to single app per screen (DOS style) is ok for mobiles, but it's totally NOT ok for PCs where people got used to multitasking and a bit of freedom provided by large screen, full size keyboard etc.

If Win 8 booted into new desktop with Start button and optional Metro tulip for mobile devices then it would be possible to stomach it, but the choiced forced by Microsoft only cause resentment in those users who even care to bother about upgrading their PC - it's totally wrong timing to release such tulip of OS.

Stay tuned for Win 9 release in 2014 (2015 at the latest).

Comment

Originally posted by mos View Post
        Just got a new laptop with Windows 8. Its bloody awful, do not you think?
        no.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          no.
          WDS

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
            WDS
            SU
            If UKIP are the answer, then it must have been a very stupid question.

Comment

To me Win8 is a hardware refresh OS rather than an upgrade OS.
              If you're a laptop user and spend time travelling or in meetings, check out the new touchscreen ultrabooks coming from the likes of Lenovo and Sony Vaio. The convertibles are looking really nice and are the next major evolution of portable PCs IMO.

Got my eye on a Lenovo Yoga 13 at the moment, but I'm waiting until the summer for more convertibles to come out. I want to get something with more connectivity options such as VGA and ethernet ports that are essential to working at various clientco's.

I'm also looking forward to sitting in meeting rooms with a tablet that you can actually do productive work on, making the usual 'look at me' iPad users look a bunch of amateurs.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                The convertibles are looking really nice and are the next major evolution of portable PCs IMO.
                If the operation of the Dell Dell XPS 12 convertible is really as seamless as portrayed in the video at the bottom of this page, then I can definitely see the advantage.

The XPS 12 shares a hardware feature with the Microsoft Surface tablet that really improves the Windows 8 user experience: a recessed Windows home button below the screen. Press it and the display swaps between the traditional desktop and the Modern tile-based UI no matter which way the screen is facing.
                Last edited by Sysman; 26 January 2013, 17:46.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I don't like Win 8 as well, get back my pc to win 7 in a week

Comment

Working...
                  X