• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Need Excel Expert up for a challenge

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Excel Expert up for a challenge

I have an Excel file I downloaded from another forum. It is not my work. It generates a schedule for my 8 Ball league. I can input the # of teams and the number of weeks in the session, hit "generate" and I get a fairly balanced home and away schedule. I need to tweak the schedule, because some of our venues have more than 1 pool table and multiple teams, so there is an over-booking possibility to deal with. Also, we would like the schedule to pit most of the stronger teams (for ex. the top 10 or 12 teams from the previous session) against each other. Are these tweaks possible with Excel or do I need to find someone proficient in VB, C++ or C# to write an app for us ?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Even assuming formulas can't do it, there's very little one can't do with a bit of VBA in Excel itself. Can you post a link to this download so we have more idea what you mean?
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

What day rate can you afford ?

Comment

Originally posted by rcoups View Post
        I have an Excel file I downloaded from another forum. It is not my work. It generates a schedule for my 8 Ball league. I can input the # of teams and the number of weeks in the session, hit "generate" and I get a fairly balanced home and away schedule. I need to tweak the schedule, because some of our venues have more than 1 pool table and multiple teams, so there is an over-booking possibility to deal with. Also, we would like the schedule to pit most of the stronger teams (for ex. the top 10 or 12 teams from the previous session) against each other. Are these tweaks possible with Excel or do I need to find someone proficient in VB, C++ or C# to write an app for us ?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
        Sounds like a job for SAP
        I've got a team of consultants I can send in for 6 months.
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

You can do this yourself in Excel using a combination of VBA and macros.

In Excel, you'll need to activate the developer tab which is under setting/preferences somewhere (default setting is off).

HTH and good luck.
          Last edited by oscarose; 23 December 2012, 11:47.
          one day at a time

Comment

Working...
          X