• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Whoops

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whoops

Just heard a dba accidentally dropped an Oracle snapshot. He is saying it cannot be recovered. Of course no backups

I am not involved in any way, but I do like the fella and I think he's gonna get his nuts felt for this.

He says as it's not a database, but a snapshot it's more like an image so cannot be recovered. He says he has the asm file but this is not enough.

Anyone know any tricks that he could look up to get him out of hot water or is he in big doodoo.

TIA

Suity
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

or reworded for you

Ive agreed to do something for client co that i have no idea about and now i think i've screwed up, anyone have any ideas for help.
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Whoops

Isn't there a 'recycle bin' in later Oracles?

Or shall I get me coat?

Comment

I know MF can resolve this. Ask him nicely.......

Comment

Isn't it just a materialised view and not the actual data?

From Snapshots Are NOT Backups

Summary
          Storage-based snapshot technologies serve a different purpose compared to backup and data protection solutions. Since snapshots reside on the same array as the production database, they are vulnerable to array failures and thus should not be considered valid "backups" of the data. Snapshots can be effectively utilized for development/QA/test activities on a secondary copy of the production database, but should not be utilized on the production database itself due to the severe I/O impact of copy-on-write. For Oracle database backups, customers should leverage RMAN and Fast Recovery Area, along with Oracle Secure Backup for integrated tape backups, to provide complete data loss and corruption protection.

If the bold bit is being practiced he hasn't lost anything has he?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

but failing that you could give him QDOS's number quick
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
              or reworded for you

Ive agreed to do something for client co that i have no idea about and now i think i've screwed up, anyone have any ideas for help.
              Listen chum, I did mention in the OP this has nothing to do with me. Just leave it at that.

Originally posted by stek View Post
              Isn't there a 'recycle bin' in later Oracles?

Or shall I get me coat?
              It's nippy outside bud

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              I know MF can resolve this. Ask him nicely.......
              Only when satan himself goes to work on a snowplow.

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              but failing that you could give him QDOS's number quick
              I found a util (pay for) that does the job. The one flaw in the plan was that when they said they had the ASM file, they actually totally lied.

So as they dropped a database, failed to back the ******* thing up in the first place, and then had no real clue as to what they had in terms of files and then lied to me and made me waster everyone's time on here, I'm out - Dragons Den style.

Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Recycle bin - Oracle FAQ

Perhaps we should swap places!

Comment

Working...
                X