• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Most ancient backwards compatible CD format

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most ancient backwards compatible CD format

I have to transfer a load of audio tapes onto CD for the aged Ps, burning these with a brilliant program called Imgburn

I've managed to obtain raw sound files of the tapes (not at a brilliant bit rate it must be said - I may have to go back and retry that stage of the operation with Honestech VHS to DVD 5.0 Deluxe which I bought in Maplins yesterday).

However, Imgburn has a bewilderingly large number of options for the CD format, including ISO 9660, Juliet, and UDF, pluss various combinations of these.

Now knowing my parents, they probably have the earliest wax cylinder model of CD player ever sold, c. 1901 or thereabouts. So in summary I was wondering what would be the most basic, conservative, backwards compatible, CD format and options to choose in order to work on any CD player. I mean did Joliet come before ISO 9660 for example?
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

ISO 9660, Juliet, and UDF are filesystems which are used on data CDs. To play in an actual CD player you'll want to burn an audio (red book) CD not a data CD.

CD format is uncompressed 16 bit stereo @ 44.1 KHz. You can record in that format but if you intend to do any processing (e.g. noise reduction) recording in 24 bit and dithering down to 16 bits is probably a better bet.

You may find that if their player is particularly old it won't play certain kinds of recordable CDs, so you might need to experiment.

Alternatively, buy them an iPod and put the audio on that. It will probably work out cheaper.
    Last edited by doodab; 18 November 2012, 16:12.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

WHS. I had a 10-year old Pioneer player that wouldn't play audio-CDRs, so not even that old or cheap. Being able to play recordable CDRs as opposed to proper printed CDs is a relatively new thing I think.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Wireless Home Music Systems and HiFi Music Players from Sonos

Search | whathifi.com
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          I have to transfer a load of audio tapes onto CD for the aged Ps, burning these with a brilliant program called Imgburn
          Buy them an iPod and stuff the recordings on that in MP3 format. Job's a good 'un.
          Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
          X