• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Value for money on top-end Macs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Value for money on top-end Macs

I was looking at the Mac Pro range, and saw that this is the jewel of the crown:
    • 12-Core
    • Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
    • 12GB (six 2GB) memory
    • 1TB hard drive1
    • 18x SuperDrive
    • ATI Radeon HD 5770 with 1GB GDDR5
    No monitor included, £3000

I've never really noticed other vendors doing 12-core machines so does anyone know what a comparable spec PC might cost and where one might look? Or for comparison, what £3000 would get you in a Windows PC?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Those Xeons are around £630 each, motherboard is £450 or so, so on a self build you could save quite a bit and/or get a better specced machine for the same price. Obviously you won't get the apple happy glow though.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Not really into self-build TBH; do you know any sites who do these kind of top-end PCs?

Comment

Lenovo and HP both sell dual CPU workstations so have a look on dabs, eBuyer etc for those I suppose e.g.

Lenovo ThinkStation D20 4155 Tower 2 x Xeon E5620 RAM 8 GB HDD 2 x 500 GB Win 7 Pro 64-bit (SNFK7UK) - dabs.com
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

A few there, blimey those Xeon chips are expensive - even a single-CPU Xeon system is way pricier than an i7.

I'm pretty surprised how many of those systems only have 8GB RAM, if I'm spending nearly £2k (which seems to be comparable to the Mac spec) 8Gb is not a lot.
          In fact, considering I haven't bought a PC for several years I was a little underwhelmed... somehow I expected top-end PCs would be 16Gb and SSD as standard these days.

Comment

Working...
          X