• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • FREE webinar: What does a post IR35 reform CV look like? : Wed, Jul 28, 2021 7:15 PM - 8:15 PM BST More details here.

8 port gigabit wireless broadband router

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    8 port gigabit wireless broadband router

    What with the growth of tech in the house, i.e. NAS, CCTV, Wired wifi AP elsewhere in the house, I have run out of ports on my main router.

    Am looking to replace it with an 8-port gigabit router with wifi.

    Have seen a couple with front facing ports and power in the rear, would prefer pretty lights on the front and all i/o on the back.

    Any recommendations on this?
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

    #2
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    What with the growth of tech in the house, i.e. NAS, CCTV, Wired wifi AP elsewhere in the house, I have run out of ports on my main router.

    Am looking to replace it with an 8-port gigabit router with wifi.

    Have seen a couple with front facing ports and power in the rear, would prefer pretty lights on the front and all i/o on the back.

    Any recommendations on this?
    Is getting an 8 port switch / hub be out of the question? Could work out cheaper than buying a new router. Also, you can uplink the switch to your router giving you an effective / usable 10 ports.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

    Comment


      #3
      I bought the 5-port version of this switch (not a router/WiFi), and it does the job no problems. Recommended.

      TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port Gigabit Switch
      Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

      Comment


        #4
        Apologies for my ignorance

        Don't do hardware but what I want is something like as USB hub as I am running out of available slots to plug all my usb devices in.

        Got a Dr Who one but that broke.

        Anyone got any ideas on what it is I should be looking for - to hold additional usb ports?

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by geoffreywhereveryoumaybe View Post
          Don't do hardware but what I want is something like as USB hub as I am running out of available slots to plug all my usb devices in.

          Got a Dr Who one but that broke.

          Anyone got any ideas on what it is I should be looking for - to hold additional usb ports?
          Thread hijack alert

          Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by geoffreywhereveryoumaybe View Post
            Don't do hardware but what I want is something like as USB hub as I am running out of available slots to plug all my usb devices in.

            Got a Dr Who one but that broke.

            Anyone got any ideas on what it is I should be looking for - to hold additional usb ports?
            I think what you want is something like a USB hub. Exactly like a USB hub in fact.

            I don't think I've ever seen a broadband router with 8 ports. It'd probably be expensive if there were such a thing, and certainly it'd be cheaper just to buy the additional switch. With things spread around the house, you can probably locate it better and save on wires too.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              I think what you want is something like a USB hub. Exactly like a USB hub in fact.

              I don't think I've ever seen a broadband router with 8 ports. It'd probably be expensive if there were such a thing, and certainly it'd be cheaper just to buy the additional switch. With things spread around the house, you can probably locate it better and save on wires too.
              They are available, I found a couple when I was looking earlier this year. However you are delving into the realms of hardware VPN that also has 8 ports.

              You then end up with a trade off, reasonably priced one that is no where near as good as a consumer grade 4 port one, or a good one that costs 100s


              E.g...
              D-Link DSR-250N 8-Port Wireless-N Gigabit Broadband Router w/ SSL VPN (300Mbps)
              or
              Cisco Systems Cisco 891W Gigabit EN Security Router Wireless router - 8-port switch (integrated) - EN, Fast EN, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11a, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11n (draft 2.0)
              Still Invoicing

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by blacjac View Post
                They are available, I found a couple when I was looking earlier this year. However you are delving into the realms of hardware VPN that also has 8 ports.

                You then end up with a trade off, reasonably priced one that is no where near as good as a consumer grade 4 port one, or a good one that costs 100s


                E.g...
                D-Link DSR-250N 8-Port Wireless-N Gigabit Broadband Router w/ SSL VPN (300Mbps)
                or
                Cisco Systems Cisco 891W Gigabit EN Security Router Wireless router - 8-port switch (integrated) - EN, Fast EN, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11a, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11n (draft 2.0)
                Thanks.

                Had a look at both of these and the D-Link is the better option functionally but the Cisco has better placement of the ports.

                Cisco router is only Gigabit on the 1 WAN port, the LAN ports are only 100Base T, whereas the D-Link has all Gigabit, but placed on front of unit.
                Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
                  Cisco router is only Gigabit on the 1 WAN port, the LAN ports are only 100Base T, whereas the D-Link has all Gigabit, but placed on front of unit.
                  You really have to watch out for this sort of crap. I haven't looked recently, but when I was shopping for a Gigabit solution last year I found all sorts of kit which delivered only 10/100.

                  The newest system I have still with 10/100 is an old G4 PowerBook and that's ancient; anything I have bought since that has Gigabit.

                  One might suspect that manufacturers are dumping old kit on consumers.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Simply get an old Cisco gigbit switch and plug it into your router. Mine has 24 ports, and they are almost all full. I no longer have any idea where many of these cables go.
                    World's Best Martini

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X